Check out the real-time round-up: explore emerging trends in the metaverse and impact on real-time 3D technology; and watch the ‘Virtual Production Sizzle Reel 2022’ to see how Unreal engine, virtual production and in-camera VFX is feeding an explosion of creativity.
Epic Games has released new stats that showcase the expanding adoption of Unreal Engine and the momentum of real-time workflows across industries. Here are some highlights:
- Since its release two months ago, the ‘The Matrix Awakens’ demo has been downloaded more than six million times across PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X/S.
- Total downloads for Unreal Engine increased nearly 40% since the end of 2020.
- Since MetaHuman Creator’s launch in February, over one million MetaHumans have been created.
- 48% of announced next-gen games are being built on Unreal Engine.
- At The Game Awards 2021, there were 19 Unreal Engine-powered games nominated across 21 categories, and Unreal Engine titles took home nine wins–including Game of the Year.
- Unreal Marketplace customers grew by over 50% in 2021.
- There were more than 32M Quixel assets downloaded in 2021.
Virtual production and in-camera VFX
- In 2020, there were fewer than a dozen in-camera visual effects (ICVFX) stages up and running. Today, Epic is aware of more than 250 ICVFX stages across the globe.
- The technologies and workflows that were once the preserve of big studios with multi-million-dollar budgets have become democratized, giving rise to a new wave of content creators.
At one time, using real-time technology in film and television production was considered experimental. Now, it’s being adopted across the entire workflow and used for a multitude of content. Real-time workflows are impacting projects at every stage of the creative lifecycle, from conceptual writing and location scouting to production design and final-frame visual effects.
Watch: Virtual Production Sizzle Reel 2022
These numbers and more were released in a new Unreal Engine blog post - check out the details here.
Source: Epic Games