Directed by Jon Favreau, the global box office hit will also be available physically on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray and DVD October 22
The day has finally arrived… Disney’s The Lion King, the animated feature film hit that brought the Pride Lands’ iconic characters to life in a whole new way, is now available on Digital in HD and 4K Ultra HD and Movies Anywhere, coming physically on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray and DVD October 22. Directed by Jon Favreau (The Jungle Book), the summer blockbuster earned over $1 billion at the global box office and an A CinemaScore, and is now available to own with all-new bonus features, music videos and an exclusive extra for Digital consumers.
Disney’s The Lion King journeys to the African savanna where a future king is born. Simba idolizes his father, King Mufasa, and takes to heart his own royal destiny. But not everyone in the kingdom celebrates the new cub’s arrival. Scar, Mufasa’s brother -- and former heir to the throne -- has plans of his own. The battle for Pride Rock is ravaged with betrayal, tragedy and drama, ultimately resulting in Simba’s exile. With help from a curious pair of newfound friends, Simba will have to figure out how to grow up and take back what is rightfully his.
In-home audiences can trek behind the scenes and visit the African savanna through “The Journey to The Lion King,” a three-part documentary that explores the film’s creation. It features visits to the Playa Vista production facility where the film’s voice talent, including Donald Glover (Simba) honor and elevate the animated classic’s iconic music; discussions with Favreau and team, who used cutting-edge technology to create photorealistic animals and environments; and filmmaker and cast reflections on the fan-favorite tale. Extras also include “More to Be Scene,” layer-by-layer progressions of some of the film’s most iconic moments; lyric video for “Never Too Late” by Elton John and music video for “Spirit” by Beyoncé; sing-alongs to the film’s unforgettable songs; and a feature on the “Protect the Pride” campaign, which focuses on protecting and revitalizing the lion population.
The digital version includes an extra that playfully conveys the importance of the dung beetle both in the film and the African savanna.
In The Lion King, pioneering filmmaking techniques bring treasured characters to life in a whole new way. Simba idolizes his father, King Mufasa, and takes to heart his own royal destiny. But not everyone in the kingdom celebrates the new cub’s arrival. Scar, Mufasa’s brother — and former heir to the throne — has plans of his own. The battle for Pride Rock is ravaged with betrayal, tragedy and drama, ultimately resulting in Simba’s exile. With help from a curious pair of newfound friends, Simba will have to figure out how to grow up and take back what is rightfully his. The all-star cast includes Donald Glover as Simba, Beyoncé Knowles-Carter as Nala, James Earl Jones as Mufasa, Chiwetel Ejiofor as Scar, Seth Rogen as Pumbaa and Billy Eichner as Timon.
The Lion King will be packaged and released in several different formats, ensuring each member of your family can view the film on a variety of different devices with no worries. Viewers can watch the film in Digital 4K Ultra HD, HD and SD, and bring home a physical copy of the film which will be released as an Ultimate Collector’s Edition (4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray and Digital Code), a Multi-Screen Edition (Blu-ray, DVD and Digital Code) and a single DVD.
Bonus features include*:
- Perfecting the Pride – Join the filmmakers on their research trip to Africa as they immerse themselves in the real world of “The Lion King.” From the animals in the pride, to the smallest of insects and the grasslands in the savanna, experience the attention to detail that brought the film to life.
- Pride Lands Pedia --Dung beetle shares the importance of his “roll” in the African Savanna in a fun, bug’s eye view of the land its inhabitants.
BLU-RAY & DIGITAL BONUS:
- The Journey to “The Lion King”
- The Music - Go inside the studio with the cast and crew as they work to honor and elevate The Lion King’s beloved music.
- The Magic - Discover how the filmmakers blended the traditional filmmaking techniques with virtual reality technology to create amazing movie magic.
- The Timeless Tale - Filmmakers and cast reflect on the story that has moved generations and share how this Lion King carries a proud legacy forward.
- More to Be Scene - Recording studio and layer-by-layer progressions of some of most iconic moments in “The Lion King.”
- “Circle of Life” – Peel back the layers of effects and go behind the scenes of this iconic musical moment from the film
- “I Just Can’t Wait to Be King” – See all the effects, talent and fun that went into creating this vibrant version of “I Just Can’t Wait to Be King” for the movie
- “Hakuna Matata” – Join Donald Glover (Simba), Seth Rogen (Pumbaa) and Billy Eichner (Timon) in the studio for the making of this memorable scene.
- Music Videos
- “Never Too Late” (lyric video) by Elton John
- “Spirit” performed by Beyoncé Knowles-Carter
- Filmmaker Introduction
- Audio Commentary – By Director Jon Favreau.
- Song Selection
- “Circle of Life”
- “I Just Can’t Wait to be King”
- “Be Prepared”
- “Hakuna Matata”
- “The Lion Sleeps Tonight”
- “Never Too Late”
- Protect the Pride –Director Jon Favreau, the Lion Recovery Fund and conservationists highlight efforts to protect the majestic lions and their home.
4K Ultra HD (4K UHD+Blu-ray+Digital Code),
Multi-screen Edition (Blu-ray+DVD+Digital Code),
DVD, Digital 4K UHD, HD, SD and On-Demand
Feature Run Time: Approximately 118 minutes
Rating: PG in U.S. (bonus material not rated), PG in CE, G in CF
Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1
UHD Blu-ray = English Dolby Atmos; English 2.0 Descriptive Audio; Spanish, German, Italian and French 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus
Blu-ray = English 7.1 DTS-HDMA, English 2.0 Descriptive Audio, Spanish and French 5.1 Dolby Digital
DVD = English, Spanish and French 5.1 Dolby Digital, English 2.0 Descriptive Audio
UHD Digital = English Dolby Atmos (some platforms); English, Spanish and French 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital; English Descriptive Audio 2.0 Dolby Digital (some platforms)
HD Digital = English, Spanish and French 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital; English Descriptive Audio 2.0 Dolby Digital (some platforms)
SD Digital = English, Spanish and French 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital; English Descriptive Audio 2.0 Dolby Digital (some platforms)
UHD Blu-ray = English SDH, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish and Spanish
Blu-ray = English SDH, French and Spanish
DVD = English SDH, French and Spanish
Digital = English SDH, French and Spanish
Closed Captions: English (DVD and Digital)
Source: Walt Disney Studios