Event will include screenings, a look at the making of the short film ‘Inner Workings’ and a tribute to the late Bill Melendez.
East Los Angeles College and Cinema Without Borders will present Latin American Animation Day, the fourth edition of the annual East Los Angeles College International Animation Festival, on March 24.
The goal of the festival is to give an in-depth and entertaining introduction to contemporary international animation. Screenings of short animated films from around the world, analyses and Q&A’s with a panel of well-known animation experts, and a tribute to an international animation artist working in the U.S. animation industry are all part of the festival program.
Latin American Animation Day will be held at East Los Angeles College, located at 1301 Avenida Cesar Chavez, Monterey Park, CA 91754. Screenings will be held in the Building S1 Screening Room 112. Free parking will be available in Structure 4 at the corner of West Floral Drive and Collegian Avenue.
The program will run as follows:
- 12:30 p.m. -- Reception, with appetizers provided by Carnival restaurant, and sodas.
- 1:30 p.m. -- Opening remarks by Linda Kallan, chairwoman of the art department at ELAC; and Bijan Tehrani, editor in chief of Cinema Without Borders and director of the festival.
- 1:45 p.m. -- Screening of short animated films from Latin American countries: From Mexico, Muros no fronteras and Poliangular; from Brazil, Plantae, Sinias Do Sim and Camino Gigante; and from Chile, The Bear Story (an Academy Award winner) and Gift.
- 2:45 p.m. Panel discussion and Q&A. Panel members are: Sarah Baisley, a specialist in animation publicity and journalism; Chilean animator Enzo Baldi; Mike Libonati, a prolific animation instructor who teaches at ELAC; Leo Matsuda, Brazil-born director of the Disney-produced short film Inner Workings; Tom McLean, veteran entertainment journalist and news editor of Animation World Network; Ennio Torresan, a Brazilian animator working on DreamWorks’ Everest; and Jean Thoren of Animation Magazine.
- 3:15 p.m. Leo Matsuda presents making of Inner Workings.
- 3:35 p.m. Tribute to a Legend: The Late Bill Melendez.
- 4:15 p.m. Closing remarks announcing Scandinavian Animation Day in 2019.
To attend please RSVP at firstname.lastname@example.org (link sends e-mail)
Source: Cinema Without Borders, East Los Angeles College