One of the industry’s most important TV pitching and co-production conference, this year’s event runs September 20-23, and will celebrate Portuguese animation and its emergence in global markets.
Cartoon Forum, one of the industry’s most important annual pitching and co-production conferences for animated TV projects, provides an opportunity for producers to pitch their projects in front of 1,000 broadcasters, investors, and other potential partners from 40 countries. Since its creation in 1990, 870 series have found financing, representing a total budget of 3.1 billion EUR. This year, the 3-day event will run from September 20-23 in Toulouse, France.
Every year the event spotlights a different country; this year’s spotlight is set on Portugal, celebrating its artists and contributions to the world of animation. The country’s artistic and production capacity has increased in both quality and quantity and benefited from the support of producers and authors, animation companies and studios, as well as public support from the Portuguese Institute of Cinema and Audiovisual (ICA).
With support from the Portugal Film Commission (PFC) and the Cinema and Tourism Fund (Cash Rebate 25% to 30%) that began in 2018, the local industry has emerged as more competitive internationally in animation production services and co-productions. With the ongoing success of Portuguese short films, the push for production of larger formats - feature films and TV series – is gaining traction.
Five Portuguese TV Series Pitched at Cartoon Forum 2021:
- Biriki – TV series - Format: TV series - 26 x 7' – Target: Pre-school 4-5 – Produced by Sparkle Animation (Portugal) – Co-produced by Abano Producións (Spain)
- Pete & Bern's - TV series - 52 x 3' – Target: Young adults/adults – Produced by Sardinha em Lata (Portugal)
- The Aventures of Princess P - Format: TV series - 52 x 11' – Target: Children 6-11 – Produced by Ukbar Filmes (Portugal)
- The Saskatoons - Format: TV series - 26 x 11' – Target: Children 6-11 – Produced by Pikkukala (Spain) – Co-produced by Sardinha em Lata (Portugal)
- What's It All About? - Format: TV series - 52 x 11' – Target: Children 6-11 – Produced by Take It Easy (Portugal)
Networking Events Celebrating Animation in Portugal:
Wednesday, September 22
- Portugal Happy Hour - Starting at 17:30 – Happy Hour Spotlight Portugal (Bar and terrace of the Congress Centre)
Thursday, September 23
- Farewell Dinner: Portuguese Evening (999 Routes de Seysses - 31120 Portet-sur-Garonne)
- 19:30 – Departure by bus hotels and the Congress Centre (only one departure planned)
- 20.00 – Cocktail party
Cartoon Forum 2021's program of events is available here.
Source: Cartoon Forum 2021