The Oscar, VES, and Annie Award-winning film, the third highest-grossing movie of all time, arrives March 28 on all major digital retailers, including Prime Video, Apple TV, Vudu, and Movies Anywhere, and will include over three hours of never-before-seen bonus content featuring the filmmakers, cast, and crew.
Soon, you can return to Pandora whenever you want! The third highest-grossing movie of all time, James Cameron’s Avatar: The Way of Water, arrives exclusively on digital March 28. The Oscar, Annie, and VES Award-winning epic adventure will be available on all major digital retailers, including Prime Video, Apple TV, Vudu, and Movies Anywhere, with over three hours of never-before-seen bonus content featuring the filmmakers, cast, and crew.
Set more than a decade after the events of the first film, The Way of Water launches the story of the Sully family (Jake, Neytiri, and their kids), the trouble that follows them, the lengths they go to keep each other safe, the battles they fight to stay alive, and the tragedies they endure. Produced by Cameron and his longtime partner Jon Landau, the Lightstorm Entertainment production stars Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldaña, Sigourney Weaver, Stephen Lang, Cliff Curtis and Kate Winslet. Joining the cast are talented newcomers Britain Dalton, Jamie Flatters, Trinity Jo-Li Bliss, Bailey Bass, and Jack Champion.
Watch the trailer for the digital release now:
Bonus features for the digital release include “Pandora’s Box,” a series of featurettes on the challenges faced by the cast and crew as filmmakers devised new technologies to push the limits of cinema, including:
- Building the World of Pandora –Cameron and a team of talented artists combine years of research with their design skills to build the world of Pandora with new characters, creatures, indigenous clans, underwater environments and the take-no-prisoners hard-tech world of the RDA.
- Capturing Pandora –Cameron’s approach to performance capture has the cast performing in a volume rigged with infrared cameras to capture their movement, and head rig cameras to capture emotion on their faces with only the boundaries of imagination to limit them.
- The Undersea World of Pandora – Co-production designer Dylan Cole and his team conceive of the marine creatures required for Avatar: The Way of Water while Cameron and his stunt team devise extraordinary means to bring those creatures to life in a performance capture tank.
- The Challenges of Pandora's Waters – Cameron tackles the “non-trivial challenge” of performance capture above and below the water’s surface, utilizing a wave machine and current generator to reproduce ocean conditions, and underwater vehicles to replicate creature movement.
- Pandora’s Returning Characters – Cameron reunites with his returning cast –Worthington, Saldaña, Weaver, and Lang. Together they discuss the amazing evolution of their characters in Avatar: The Way of Water.
- Pandora’s Next Generation – Meet the talented young newcomers who have been cast as the next generation of Na’vi and follow them through the adventure of making Avatar: The Way of Water.
- Spider's Web –Cameron introduced the human character of Spider into the fabric of Pandora – thus creating a host of technological challenges on set…and an incredible journey for the young actor, Champion.
- Becoming Na’vi – The Avatar cast is immersed in the culture of the indigenous Na’vi, living off the land in the Hawaiian rainforest and training in a multitude of disciplines in preparation for their roles.
- The Reef People of Pandora – In true Cameron style, the Metkayina reef clan has been developed with great attention to detail, bearing unique evolutionary traits and a culture – with new dwellings, new clothes and different way of life – all a result of living off the ocean.
- Bringing Pandora to Life – Once Cameron completes his virtual production process, every sequence is turned over to Wētā FX to bring Pandora to life – with unprecedented advancements in facial performance, environments and making CG water look real.
- The RDA Returns to Pandora – Co-production designer Ben Procter and his team present an armada of new vehicles and human technologies that the RDA brings to Pandora – in concept design and with practical builds.
- The New Characters of Pandora – Meet the important new characters of the Avatar saga played by Winslet, Curtis, Edie Falco, Brendan Cowell, and Jemaine Clement.
- The Sounds of Pandora – Hear how Cameron worked with composer Simon Franglen to create the distinctive music of The Way of Water while building on James Horner’s brilliant score for Avatar, and learn how Chris Boyes created the immersive sounds of Pandora.
- New Zealand – Pandora’s Home – The production of the Avatar sequels is so thoroughly ensconced in New Zealand that Cameron considers The Way of Water a “New Zealand film.” Hear reflections from the cast and crew, including the remarkable New Zealand crew, on making the film.
Visual effects for Avatar: The Way of Water were created by Wētā FX and ILM, with Production VFX supervision by Joe Letteri. Fans can add the film and over three hours of never-before-seen bonus content to their digital movie collection from March 28 in 4K Ultra HD quality and Dolby Atmos audio.