‘Hero Elementary’ kicks off on World Autism Awareness Day with a half-hour special; other special series episodes highlight autism acceptance including ‘Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood’ and ‘Xavier Riddle and the Secret Museum.’
Three popular PBS KIDS shows – the Emmy-winning Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood, Xavier Riddle and the Secret Museum - based on Brad Meltzer bestselling books, and the superhero series Hero Elementary, are premiering new episodes just in time for Autism Acceptance Month.
Monday, March 29, kicks off a week of brand-new Hero Elementary episodes, including “AJ’s Extra Superpower,” a special half-hour show, debuting on World Autism Awareness Day, April 2.
Premiering Friday, April 2 - World Autism Awareness Day, on PBS KIDS (check local listings):
- “AJ’s ExtraSuperpower” - When a little girl’s toys keep disappearing from her backyard, Sparks’ Crew discovers the culprit is a neighbor’s dog. How will they keep it out? AJ’s Extra Superpower (his autism) is the key.
Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood:
Premieres Monday, April 5 on PBS KIDS (check local listings):
- "Daniel Meets a New Friend" – Daniel meets a new friend, Max, who is autistic and learns what he can do when Max needs more time to get comfortable and more space to play in his own way.
- “A New Friend at the Clock Factory” – Daniel is at Chime Time with his new friend, Max. When Max is overwhelmed by the bright lights and loud sounds, Daniel and his friends learn what they can do to help make a calmer Chime Time so Max can play, too.
Premieres Tuesday, April 6 on PBS KIDS (check local listings):
- “Jodi’s Asthma” - Daniel is playing Splat Ball with his friends at the Enchanted Garden, but Jodi’s asthma makes it hard for her to run around. When she stops to rest, Daniel comes up with a new sitting-down game so everyone can still play.
- “Daniel and Max Play at the Playground” – Daniel feels left out at the playground when there’s no room for him to play with Katerina and Max at the xylophone. Max’s big sister, Amira, helps them find a way for everyone to play.
Xavier Riddle and the Secret Museum
Premiering Monday, April 5 on PBS KIDS (check local listings):
- “I am Temple Grandin” - Temple Grandin helps Yadina make friends with a new boy at school, by showing her how great it is that people think and do things differently.
Source: PBS KIDS