Applications for merit-based scholarships designed to support college students in continuing their education in the field of animation are due by June 15.
BURBANK, CA -- ASIFA-Hollywood and the Animation Educators Forum (AEF) have announced ASIFA-Hollywood’s AEF Scholarship fund. This year’s fund will assist with up to $30,000 in tuition, books, supplies and other related educational costs.
“The scholarship judges are looking for students who are passionate about animation and willing to work hard to reach a professional standard,” says the AEF’s Dori Littell-Herrick. “That is why our AEF scholarship is focused towards students who have completed a year of college and are committed to the study of animation.”
Scholarships are merit-based and designed to support college students in continuing their education in the field of animation. Proposals will be accepted for undergraduate students entering their second year and above, and also graduate students. Awards range from $2500 to $5000 and may be applied to:
- Books and supplies
- Animation hardware or software
- Senior or graduate thesis production.
Applications for academic year 2015-16 are available now at the AEF online application site scholarships.animationeducatorsforum.org. Applications from international students are also welcome. All scholarship award winners will receive a 1-year associate membership to ASIFA-Hollywood.
“Just two or three years ago we did not have the wherewithal to even consider such a program,” says ASIFA-Hollywood executive director Frank Gladstone. “That we can now offer this kind of benefit to the animation community really points to our continued growth and maturity as an organization.”
Application materials will include:
- A short biography describing your experience as an animation major. This could include why you chose animation, a course or teacher that has been meaningful to you, your participation in your school’s animation club, and any animation-related internship or work experience that you have had;
- A two-page proposal for the scholarship describing how you will use the award and how that will benefit the student's goals in animation;
- An animation reel (1-6 minutes) and/or 10 pieces of still art demonstrating your strengths and/or artistic breadth;
- Two letters of recommendation, one from a faculty advisor and one from a member of any ASIFA chapter. (If your faculty advisor is also a member of ASIFA, please choose another faculty member from your school for your second recommendation letter.)
Applications are due by June 15, 2015 and winners will be announced July 15, 2015. Additional details of the program are available on the AEF website.