This past Saturday and Sunday evenings, artistic and technical achievements in television were honored; the Riot Games and Netflix series led the animation pack with 4 Emmy nods, while Chadwick Boseman was celebrated with a posthumous Emmy for his voice work in Disney+’s What If…?
This past Saturday and Sunday marked the annual The Creative Arts Emmys, two evenings of celebrations honoring outstanding artistic and technical achievement in various television program genres, guest performances in weekly series, and exceptional work in animation, reality, and documentary categories.
Among numerous other categories, Emmys were awarded in Animation and Visual Effects, with the popular Netflix series, Arcane the top winner, garnering four awards, followed by the Netflix animated anthology Love, Death + Robots with two. In addition, Chadwick Boseman was honored with a posthumous Emmy for his character voice-over work in the Disney+ animated series What If…?
Chip ‘n’ Dale: Rescue Rangers picked up the award for Outstanding Television Movie, the first time an animated movie has won this category.
Here’s a round-up of animation and visual effects receiving recognition at 2022 The Creative Arts Emmys events:
Winner: Outstanding Television Movie
Chip ‘n’ Dale: Rescue Rangers - Disney+, Mandeville Films
- Alexander Young, Executive Producer; Tom Peitzman, Executive Producer; Todd Lieberman, Producer; David Hoberman, Producer
Winner: Outstanding Animated Program
Arcane: "When These Walls Come Tumbling Down” - Riot Games and Fortiche Production for Netflix
- Christian Linke, Executive Producer / Story by; Marc Merrill, Executive Producer; Brandon Beck, Executive Producer; Jane Chung, Executive Producer; Thomas Vu, Executive Producer; Jerôme Combe, Co-Executive Producer; Melinda Wunsch Dilger, Co-Executive Producer; Pascal Charrue, Co-Executive Producer / Directed by; Arnaud Delord, Co-Executive Producer / Directed by; Alex Yee, Co-Executive Producer / Written by / Story by; Ash Brannon, Co-Executive Producer / Story by; Conor Sheehy, Story by; Barthelemy Maunoury, Animation Director; David Lyerly, Voice Director
Winner: Outstanding Individual Achievement in Animation
Arcane: “The Boy Savior” - Riot Games and Fortiche Production for Netflix
- Awarded to: Anne-Laure To, Color Script Artist
Arcane: "Happy Progress Day!" - Riot Games and Fortiche Production for Netflix
- Awarded to: - Julien Georgel, Art Direction
Love, Death + Robots: "Jibaro" - Netflix
- Awarded to: Alberto Mielgo, Character Designer
The Boys Presents: Diabolical: “Boyd in 3D”- Prime Video
- Awarded to: Lexy Naut, Storyboard Artist
The House - Netflix
- Awarded to: Kecy Salangad, Animator
Winner: Outstanding Short Form Animated Program
Love, Death + Robots: "Jibaro" - Netflix
- Blur Studio for Netflix; David Fincher, Executive Producer; Tim Miller, Executive Producer; Jennifer Miller, Executive Producer; Joshua Donen, Executive Producer; Sergio Jimenez, Executive Producer; Victoria Howard, Supervising Producer; Jennifer Yuh Nelson, Supervising Director; Alberto Mielgo, Writer/Director
WINNER: Outstanding Character Voice-Over Performance
What If…?: “What If… T’Challa Became A Star-Lord?” - Disney+, Marvel Studios
- Chadwick Boseman as Star Lord T’Challa
Winner: Outstanding Special Visual Effects in A Season or A Movie
The Book of Boba Fett - Disney+
- Lucasfilm LTD, Richard Bluff, Visual Effects Supervisor; Abbigail Keller, Visual Effects Producer; Paul Kavanagh, Animation Supervisor; Cameron Neilson, Assoc. Visual Effects Supervisor; Scott Fisher, Special Effects Supervisor; John Rosengrant, Legacy Effects Supervisor; Enrico Damm, ILM Visual Effects Supervisor; Robin Hackl, Image Engine Visual Effects Supervisor; Landis Fields, Virtual Production Visualization Supervisor
Winner: Outstanding Sound Editing for A Limited or Anthology Series, Movie, or Special
Moon Knight “Gods and Monsters – Disney+, Marvel Studios
- Bonnie Wild, Co-Supervising Sound Editor; Mac Smith, Co-Supervising Sound Editor; Kimberly Patrick, Sound Editor; Vanessa Lapato, Sound Editor; Matt Hartman, Sound Editor; Teresa Eckton, Sound Editor; Tim Farrell, Sound Editor; Leo Marcil, Sound Editor; Joel Raabe, Sound Editor; Ian Chase, Sound Editor; Anele Onyekwere, Music Editor; Stephanie Lowry, Music Editor; Carl Sealove, Music Editor; Dan O'Connell, Foley Artist; John Cucci, MPSE, Foley Artist
The two-night celebration footage will be condensed and air September 10 on FXX. The program will then stream on Hulu September 11-17.