American Cinema Editors organization announces key upcoming awards dates and new category award for 72nd ceremony set for next April.
American Cinema Editors (ACE) announced today that the 72nd Annual ACE Eddie Awards, recognizing outstanding editing in film and television, will be held on Sunday, April 18, 2021. Exact plans for the event have not yet been finalized; the ceremony may be virtual in light of the pandemic.
The awards ceremony will honor winners for outstanding editing in 13 categories of film and television including the just added Best Edited Animated Series (Non-Theatrical). “The burst of incredible animation on the small screen is exciting to watch,” stated ACE Executive Director Jenni McCormick. “We’re pleased to add a category this year that recognizes the superlative accomplishments of film editors working in this space.” A full list of categories for the ACE Eddie Awards follows:
- Best Edited Feature Film (Dramatic)
- Best Edited Feature Film (Comedy)
- Best Edited Animated Feature Film
- Best Edited Animated Series (Non-Theatrical)
- Best Edited Documentary (Feature)
- Best Edited Documentary (Non-Theatrical)
- Best Edited Comedy Series for Commercial Television
- Best Edited Comedy Series for Non-Commercial Television
- Best Edited Drama Series for Commercial Television
- Best Edited Drama Series for Non-Commercial Television
- Best Edited Miniseries or Motion Picture for Television
- Best Edited Non-Scripted Series
- Anne V. Coates Award for Student Editing
Three special honors will also be handed out at the ceremony, including two Career Achievement recipients presented to film editors of outstanding merit, and the Golden Eddie Filmmaker of the Year honor, presented to a filmmaker who exemplifies distinguished achievement in the art and business of film. Honorary award recipients will be announced later this year.
Submissions for the ACE Eddie Awards open November 2, 2020 and close on February 12, 2021. It should be noted that TV and Feature Film eligibility dates are different this year. Television must have aired between November 2, 2019 - December 31, 2020 and feature films must be released between January 1, 2020 - February 28, 2021. For more information or to submit for awards consideration visit the ACE website.
Key dates for the 72nd Annual ACE Eddie Awards
- November 2, 2020 - Submissions Open
- February 12, 2021 - Submissions Close
- February 19, 2021 - Nomination Ballots Sent
- March 8, 2021 - Nomination Ballots Due
- March 11, 2021 - Nominations Announced
- March 19, 2021 - Final Ballots Sent
- March 19-26, 2021 - Online Blue Ribbon Screenings
- March 26, 2021 - Final Ballots Due
- April 9, 2021 - Deadline for Advertising
- April 18, 2021 - 72nd Annual ACE Eddie Awards Presented
Source: American Cinema Editors