Monthly Academy at Metrograph residency program in New York City to present groundbreaking independent filmmakers Signe Baumane, Emily Hubley, Candy Kugel and Debra Solomon.
Here’s a treat for New York fans of independent animation -- The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences will continue its monthly residency at Metrograph in New York City on Friday, September 21, with “Women in Indie Animation,” focusing on groundbreaking filmmakers Signe Baumane, Emily Hubley, Candy Kugel, and Debra Solomon, and featuring new and classic work. Baumane, Hubley, Kugel, and Solomon will appear in person for a conversation following the screening, moderated by Peggy Stern.
The Academy began a yearlong residency at Metrograph in July 2017, bringing exciting and entertaining programs to the big screen. Programs in Academy at Metrograph have and continue to feature onstage conversations with filmmakers and scholars of motion pictures, tributes, newsreels, rarely seen clips from past Oscar ceremonies, and home movies from Hollywood legends. This monthly series highlights unique archival elements, including recent restorations and film prints from the Academy Film Archive by celebrating classic moments from the Academy’s 90-year history.
By Signe Baumane:
- Rocks In My Pockets trailer (2017, 2 mins)
- Teat Beat of Sex Episodes 1-3 (2008, 4 mins)
- Birth (2009, 12 mins)
By Emily Hubley:
- Pigeon Within (2000, 5 mins)
- Hail (2011, 3 mins)
- And/Or (2012, 6 mins)
- Brainworm Billy (2018, 3 mins)
- Nico, From Danny Says (2015, 1 min)
By Candy Kugel:
- Buzzco Demo Reel
- A Warm Reception in L.A. (1988, 5 mins)
- Fast Food Matador (1991, 5 mins)
- The Last Time (2013, 5 mins)
- I, Candy trailer (2018, 1 min)
By Debra Solomon:
- Lizzie Maguire Clip (2 mins)
- I Wanna Know Everyone in My Building (2007, 3 mins)
- My Kingdom (2014, 4 mins)
- Teach Me To Be a Woman (2008, 3 mins)
ACADEMY AT METROGRAPH
Friday, September 21, 2018
Metrograph, No. 7 Ludlow Street
For tickets & further information, visit metrograph.com.
Source: The Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences