‘The Magical Films of LAIKA’ program features remastered versions of the studio’s award-winning animated films that will be screened as part of the museum’s Family Matinees series.
Throughout the month of October, The Academy Museum of Motion Pictures is celebrating the artistry of award-winning animation studio LAIKA, with ‘The Magical Films of LAIKA,’ presented as part of the museum’s Family Matinees series.
This series marks the first studio program partnership featuring the screening of the studio’s entire filmography on display in 4K with Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos, with remastered versions of each of the studio’s five award-winning films. In addition to the screenings, there will be a specially curated selection of LAIKA merchandise available in the Academy Museum Store; LAIKA artists will visit the studio to share their expertise and artistry and walk-around characters from the films will be on hand for picture taking opportunities.
Every weekend, the Academy Museum screens films for families of all ages. All movies in this series are rated G or PG, unless otherwise noted. Each movie will be shown at 11 am unless otherwise noted in the museum’s Ted Mann Theater.
- October 1, 2022 | Missing Link (2019)
- October 8, 2022 | Kubo and the Two Strings (2016)
- October 22, 2022 | The Boxtrolls (2014)]
- October 29, 2022 | ParaNorman (2012)
- October 30, 2022 | Coraline (2009)
- October 30, 2022 | 3 pm | 10th Anniversary of ParaNorman (2012) followed by a Q&A with the filmmakers Chris Butler (writer/director), Arianne Sutner (producer) and Deborah Cook (costume designer)
Through the Academy Museum’s Education department, LAIKA artists will participate in two days of activities:
- Calm Morning gathering on Saturday, October 29 from 10 am to Noon
- Drop-in Workshop for Families on Sunday, October 30 from 1-3 pm
- Collaborative Costume Design Art Project with LAIKA’s award-winning costume designer Deborah Cook
- ParaNorman-themed Toilet Paper Zombie making activity with LAIKA Stop Motion Rigger Lindzay Irving.
For additional information and to purchase tickets visit the Museum’s website here.
Source: The Academy Museum of Motion Pictures