The competition challenges student teams to create a 30 second film; 208 teams submitted films, with 7 teams winning prize packs worth over $200k.
Winners have been announced for the 19th 24 HOURS Animation Contest. The competition challenges student teams to create a 30 second film based on a given theme in a designated 24-hour period. This year’s event garnered 208 team submissions from 71 schools (that’s 1040 students) in 11 countries (Brazil, Canada, Germany, Mexico, Taiwan, Thailand, UK, USA, Estonia, Philippines, and South Africa).
Films were judged by a panel of industry artists which included:
- Alison Mann - Manager and co-president of Fourth Wall Animation
- Ira Owens – Cinematographer for Sucker Punch Productions
- Alan Huynh - Director/Story artist (Thatgamecompany, Netflix, ShadowMachine)
- Grace Babineau – Background Painter/Color Designer (Nickelodeon, Titmouse Inc., Cartoon Network, Bento Box Ent,)
- Angela Abeyti - Character and Prop Designer/Lead, (Nickelodeon, Titmouse, ShadowMachine, Hothouse Productions, Avalanche)
- Nathan Palm - VizDev Artist and Character Designer (Dreamworks, StoopidBuddy, ShadowMachine, Bento Box)
- Ryan Stapleton – Storyboard artist (20th Century Fox Animation, Glen Keane Productions/Netflix, DreamWorks, Nickelodeon, Warner Bros)
24 HOURS 2021 sponsors awarded seven teams prize packs and cash valued at $206,544. Sponsors included Toon Boom; ASIFA-Hollywood; Bento Box; TAAFI; Animation Magazine; CSU Summer Arts; Illumination; DreamWorks; TV Paint; CTN; Wacom; Digicel, Mac Hollywood; Pixar; Sony Pictures Animation; Walt Disney Animation; Nickelodeon; and Stuart NG Books
Winners were announced by Chapman university director of animation and event creator, Aubry Mintz, on YouTube this past Friday, October 22. Watch it here:
Check out the winning projects on the 24 HOURS 2021 You Tube Channel here.
This year’s winners are as follows:
Behind the Scenes Prize:
- Winner: Insomnimaniancs; School: Columbia College Chicago
Best High School Team:
- Winner: Team Clam; School: Sisler HS, Winnipeg, Mantioba, Canada
Best College Prizes:
- Winner: Prumboltar; School: Capilano University, Vancouver, BC
- Winner: The Miraculous 112; School: Edinboro University of Pennsylvania, Edinboro, Pennsylvania
- Winner: Big Jug Juggalos; School: Seneca College, Toronto, Canada
- Winner: InkPink; School: Belas Artes University, São Paulo, Brazil
- Winner: The Bidoofers; School: Fundação Armando Alvares Penteado (FAAP)
Various prize packages were awarded and included some or all of the following: Toon Boom software licensing; books from DreamWorks; digital subscriptions for Animation Magazine, student passes to the Toronto Arts and Animation Festival International; CTNX-Live 2021 premium passes, TVPaint licenses; Pixar prize pack; Disney Animation Studio’s feedback session and virtual pass invitations to WDAS Inspire Days; CSU Summer Arts scholarships, Wacom One Cintiq tablets.
Source: 24 HOURS Animation Contest