33 films have been chosen for this year’s competition; festival, which runs August 11-14 in the village of Salamiou, will also feature a 20th anniversary tribute to Cypriot animation.
The 20th edition of Animafest Cyprus - Views of the World, is taking place August 11-14 in the village of Salamiou. Founded 20 years ago, the International Animation Festival of Cyprus showcases a selection of the world’s latest productions, focusing on independent, non-commercial films. This year will mark the return of the exhibition spaces as well as the program “Animation and Contemporary Art” which includes two artists in residency: Gerco De Ruijter (Netherlands) and Ana Mouyis (Cyprus, USA).
In recent years, the festival’s direction has been moving towards the cusp between cinema and contemporary art. The competition program aims to find a balance between experimental and narrative film. 33 films have been selected to participate in this year’s competition; selections were made by the festival’s artistic director, Yiorgos Tsangaris and Gerben Schermer (NL), curator of Animation and Contemporary Art.
Films in competition are as follows:
- Affairs of the Art, Joanna Quinn, United Kingdom/Canada, 2021
- Alexander Mosolov. Three Pieces, Natalia Ryss, Russia, 2020
- All Those Sensations in My Belly, Marko Djeska, Croatia/Portugal, 2020
- Altötting, Andreas Hykade, Germany/Canada/Portugal, 2020
- Anonymous, Steven Subotnick, USA, 2020
- Beseder (Good and Better), Gil Alkabets, Germany/Israel, 2020
- Black Snot & Golden Squares, Irina Rubina, Luis Schoeffend, Germany, 2020
- Clinamen, Simon Gerbaud, Mexico/France, 2021
- Comeback, Vladimir Leschiov, Latvia/Lithuania, 2021
- Cradle, Paul Muresan, Romania, 2020
- Empty Places, Geoffroy de Crécy, Nicolas Schmerkin, France, 2020
- Events Meant to Be Forgotten, Marko Tadic, Croatia, 2020
- Fast Rotations, Stuard Pound, United Kingdom, 2020
- Folie douce, folie dure (Mild Madness, Lasting Lunacy), Marine Laclotte, France, 2020
- The Hangman at Home, Michelle Kranot, Uri Kranot, France/Denmark/Canada, 2021
- Have a Nice Dog!, Jalal Maghout, Germany/Syria, 2020
- Hide, Daniel Gray, France/Hungary/Canada, 2020
- I'm Here, Julia Orlik, Poland, 2020
- Leaders, Faiyaz Jafri, Canada/USA, 2020
- A Little Too Much, Martina Scarpelli, Denmark, 2020
- Liza, Bastien Dupriez, France, 2020
- Maalbeek, Ismaël Joffroy Chandoutis, France, 2020
- La marche (The Walk), Yoakim Bélanger, Canada, 2020
- The Mistress of the Copper Mountain, Dmitry Geller, Russia, 2020
- The Moon, Tomek Popakul, Poland, 2020
- Night Bus, Joe Hsieh, Taiwan, 2020
- Polka-Dot Boy, Sarina Nihei, France, 2020
- The Raft, Marko Mestrovic, Croatia, 2021
- Der Schornsteinsegler (The Chimney Swift), Frédéric Schuld, Germany, 2020
- Seja como for (Anyhow, Anyway), Catarina Romano, Portugal, 2020
- Sogni al campo, Magda Guidi, Mara Cerri, France/Italy, 2020
- The Stork, Lucija Mrzljak , Morten Tšinakov, Estonia, 2020
- Tamgù, Isabel Loyer, Luis Paris, France/Argentina, 2021
In addition to the competition program, screenings will include the jury program, which consists of films made by the three members of the jury: Gerco de Ruijter (Netherlands), Otto Alder (Germany) and Ana Mouyis (Cyprus – USA).
The 20th anniversary edition will also include a tribute to Cypriot animation and feature Cypriot films that have stood out in recent years, as well as films by the pioneers of Cypriot animation. Also, this edition marks the beginning of a collaboration with Sicily’s Animaphix and Chaniartoon – International Comic and Animation Festival of Crete, under the title Animed. It will include films from Mediterranean Countries.
The poster for the 20th edition was created by the acclaimed animation filmmaker Lizzy Hobbs.
Source: Animafest Cypress