Twenty children’s film and television projects in development selected for the Junior Co-production Market to be held October 26-27, 2017 during the Cinekid Festival in Amsterdam.
The Netherlands’ Cinekid for Professionals has selected 20 children’s film and television projects-in-development for its Junior Co-production Market, to be held October 26-27, 2017 during the Cinekid Festival in Amsterdam. The projects will be introduced to more than 300 international professionals from the children’s media industry.
The selection includes both live-action and animation projects by renowned children’s media companies, such as Maybe Movies (FR), Mint ab (SE), Waking The Dog (BE), Serendipity Films (BE), Fabelaktiv as (NO), Bufo (FI), Topkapi Films (NL), Weydemann Bros (DE), The Film Kitchen (NL) and many other talented media makers.
The Junior Co-production Market (JCM) is part of Cinekid for Professionals (CfP), the industry event of Cinekid, the largest children’s media festival in the world. The Junior Co-Production Market is an integrated two-day event that enables global financiers, broadcasters and producers to assess new and innovative film and television projects. The JCM reflects the high degree of interactivity and potential for cross-finance across these sectors. All the projects will be presented in an environment designed to encourage international co-operation. The market starts with a public pitch of all the projects followed by a day and a half of one-to-one meetings between project representatives and potential financiers.
The success of previous editions of the JCM is very much reflected in this year’s festival program. The opening film Next Door Spy, directed by Karla Von Bengston and produced by Copenhagen Bombay Productions, was pitched at JCM in 2016. Oscar’s Amerika, produced by Original Film (NO) and pitched at the JCM in 2014 (winning the Eurimages Co-production Development Award), had its premiere at Berlinale 2017 Generation K+ and is selected for Cinekid Best Children’s Film Competition 2017. After the success of Long Way North, screened at Cinekid 2015, Rémi Chayé’s second feature will be pitched, his new story is based on the story of Martha Jane Cannary. Catti Edfeldt, director of Siv Sleeps Astray will also return to JCM with the new television series StAr, produced by Munck, Sweden. Producers Jan van der Zanden and Ineke Kanters (The Film Kitchen) are presenting Tim Oliehoek’s new children film project Sinkhole. They previously produced Simone van Dusseldorp’s Life According to Nino, which opened Cinekid in 2014.
Two awards are up for grabs at the JCM. Firstly, there is the Burny Bos Best Project Award (€2,500 cash prize) for best overall project in the market. Secondly, the prestigious Eurimages Co-Production Development Award will grant €20,000 to the best film project with European co-production potential.
The winners of both awards will be announced on Friday 27 October.
The full list of selections for the Cinekid Junior Co-Production Market 2017 is shown below:
- Calamity, a Childhood of Martha Jane Cannary written by Rémi Chayé, Fabrice De Costil and Sandra Tosello. Directed by Rémi Chayé. Produced by Maybe Movies, Sacrebleu Productions (France)
- How I Learned to Fly written by Ljubica Lukovic. Directed by Radivoje Andric. Produced by SENSE Production (Serbia, Croatia)
- Lucy Goes Gangsta written by Till Endemann and Andreas Cordes. Directed by Till Endemann. Produced by INDI FILM GmbH (Germany)
- Mine, said Meaty Marta written by Petra Revenue. Directed by Petra Revenue and Samir Arabzadeh. Produced by Cinenic Film AB (Sweden, Philippines)
- My Name is Olivia… and I Can’t Do Anything About it written by Jowi Schmitz. Directed by Anne de Clercq. Produced by BosBros (The Netherlands)
- RAGGIE written by Karsten Kiilerich and Aina Järvine. Directed by Karsten Kiilerich and Meelis Arulepp. Produced by A Film Estonia (Estonia, Denmark)
- Sinkhole written by Mischa Alexander and Jochum ten Haaf. Directed by Tim Oliehoek. Produced by The Film Kitchen (The Netherlands, Belgium)
- Tagli and Telle written by Paula Noronen. Directed by Akseli Tuomivaara. Produced by Bufo (Finland)
- The Girl with the Blue Shadow written and directed by Bart Van den Bempt. Produced by Serendipity Films (Belgium)
- The Highest Step in the World written by Olivier Pairoux and Eusebio Larrea. Directed by Olivier Pairoux. Produced by Kwassa Films (Belgium)
- Too Far Away written by Susanne Finken. Directed by Sarah Winkenstette. Produced by Weydemann Bros. GmbH (Germany)
- Walking on Water written by Wander Theunis. Directed by Sanne Vogel. Produced by Topkapi Films (The Netherlands)
- Hare and the Prisoner written and directed by Leevi Lemmetty. Produced by Muste ja Valo, Ink and Light (Finland, Ireland)
- Milkshake Bar written by Agnė Adomėnė, Marija Kavtaradzė and Urtė Oettinger. Directed by Urtė Oettinger. Produced by ART SHOT (Lithuania)
- Pikkuli and the Great White Reindeer written and directed by Metsämarja & Antti Aittokoski. Produced by Sun In the Eye Productions (Finland)
- Planet Z written by Maria Björklund, Javi Risco and Bambú Orellana. Directed by Maria Björklund. Produced by Pyjama Films (Finland)
- Romy & Khalid written by Alexandra Penrhyn Lowe and Alexander de Bruijn. Produced by NL Film & TV (The Netherlands)
- StAr written by Maria Bolme. Directed by Maria Bolme, Catti Edfeldt. Produced by Munck Studios (Sweden)
- The Memets written and directed by Ester Vicente Ballester. Produced by Walking The Dog (Belgium, Spain)
- The Restaurant written by Klas Abrahamsson. Directed by Pernilla Olsson. Produced by Mint ab (Sweden)
Source: Cinekid for Professionals