Short Films and Feature Animation Branch will narrow list down to five nominees, to be announced Jan. 23.
LOS ANGELES -- The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences today announced that 10 animated short films will advance in the voting process for the 90th Academy Awards. Sixty-three pictures had originally qualified in the category.
The 10 films are listed below in alphabetical order by title, with their production companies:
- Cradle, Devon Manney, director (University of Southern California)
- Dear Basketball, Glen Keane, director, and Kobe Bryant, writer (Glen Keane Productions)
- Fox and the Whale, Robin Joseph, director (Robin Joseph)
- Garden Party, Victor Caire and Gabriel Grapperon, directors (MOPA)
- In a Heartbeat, Esteban Bravo and Beth David, directors (Ringling College of Art and Design)
- Life Smartphone, Chenglin Xie, director (China Central Academy of Fine Arts)
- Lost Property Office, Daniel Agdag, director, and Liz Kearney, producer (8th in Line)
- Lou, Dave Mullins, director, and Dana Murray, producer (Pixar Animation Studios)
- Negative Space, Max Porter and Ru Kuwahata, directors (Ikki Films)
- Revolting Rhymes, Jakob Schuh and Jan Lachauer, directors (Magic Light Pictures)
Members of the Short Films and Feature Animation Branch viewed all the eligible entries for the preliminary round of voting.
Short Films and Feature Animation Branch members will now select five nominees from among the 10 titles on the shortlist. Branch screenings will be held in Los Angeles, London, New York and San Francisco in January.
Nominations for the 90th Academy Awards will be announced Jan. 23. The 90th Oscars will be held March 4 at the Dolby Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Center in Hollywood, and will be televised live on the ABC Television Network. The Oscars also will be televised live in more than 225 countries and territories worldwide.