Search form

2d animation over Live-Action Miniature Sets

1 post / 0 new
2d animation over Live-Action Miniature Sets

Hello, animating world - 

I am embarking on pre-production for an animated short roughly about 3-5 minutes long. I come here today with some questions. I am traditionally a stop motion animator - however, for this project, I really wanted it to be visually unique.  My plan is to construct highly detailed and realistic miniature sets and set pieces that will blend seamlessly into the real-life world around it ( think outside of a hobbit hole into the side of an actual mountain). It takes place on an island with massive trees. I would go out to scouted locations and set up the miniatures and combine pre-determined "invisible" acts, such as opening a door to a shelter or moving a branch away to clear a line of sight, later to be replaced with 2D animation added in later. ( Who Framed Rodger Rabbit ). I am looking for suggestions or perhaps references to lesser-known shorts or pieces with a similar technique. Also any suggestions on how to pull it off or any pitfalls you might see. Thank you for any response you might be willing to share.