Search form

Best Computer for Animating?

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Best Computer for Animating?

In the coming years, I am planning on applying and attending Sheridan's Bachelor of Animation program. Currently, I use an iPad Pro with apple pencil and Procreate to draw and create digitally, however I will need a good computer for animation (obviously). What iPad compatible computers are best for animation, more specifically 2D animation? Getting something iPad compatible is ideal, as I'd rather not have to buy a new pen and pad . Any help or advice would be wonderful. Thanks!

The Right Tools for the Job!

The Right Tools for the Job!

I work professionally in Adobe Animate (Formerly Flash) as well as photoshop, After Effects, Premeire and have had to use storyboard Pro and Harmony. The computer reccomend for that type of workload (the 2D route) would be have a desktop with an i7 processor, 12gb RAM, 250GB SSD, 1TB hard drive as well as making sure to have a second video card for dual screen purposes. This type of set up would even allow for some light 3D animation if needed. Now this may all seem pretty expensive, but if you buy a refurbished computer on Amazon or Newegg.com, you can get them for half price sometimes and they usually have a year warranty. I like to buy refurbished computers and them beef them up myself (I have a personal preference of Windows over Apple)

Going the apple route isnt a bad choice, especially for what you said that you want to do, however just know that it will cost you a lot more up front. Also in my experience, Apple's  planned obsolescence  tends to hit a bit faster than a Windows set up.

I hope all of this helps!