Search form

Stop-Motion VS 3D

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Stop-Motion VS 3D

Hello, I am an animation enthusiast and recently I started having this problem, where I can't choose on which type of animation I should focus on. Just like the title suggests I am trying to go for either stop-motion or 3D. It was 2013 when I started making my own animations (stop-motion / brickfilms to be more precise). This has to do with the fact that since 2007, when YouTube was a new site, I really loved watching stop-motion animations with toys (Hot Wheels cars, Transformers, LEGOs and so on), and seeing these things that I like "coming to life" and going through different shenanigans, it was mind-blowing for me at the time. But as time went by, I've reached a point where I wanted to try other types of animations (2D and 3D). Here things got complicated. I've discovered just how superior 2D and 3D animations were, comparing to the brickfilms I was making. Now I know that my brickfilms were amateur-ish and maybe I should've moved to clay-mation, or stop-motion with different action figures. The problem is that both of them are better made when the animator does not work all by himself. When he/she has somebody to make the characters, somebody to make the story, somebody to make the storyboard and so on. Also, in the country that I live in, buying action figures with more mobility is not cheap. With 2D animations I was not that good since I can't draw that well. So now all that is left is 3D. I do like it because, 3D animations can be made by one person (in Garry's Mod or Source Film Maker for example).  And this is exactly what I want. To be able to make animations on my own that not only entertain the ones who watch them, but also make me feel satisfied. The reason why I am having a hard time moving to 3D, has to do with the fact that Brickfilm is something that defines me. I really love bringing inanimate objects to life, and stop-motion has that certain charm that makes this kind of concept feel more "real". Not only that, I like to "feel" my characters when I move and pose them. But again, buying action figures with more mobility is expensive and animating with lego minifigures frustrates me. 3D on the other hand, gives me such freedom, a freedom that alows me to animate in a way that does not make me feel like a "I can't work in such conditions!" type of artist. For short, I am trying to choose between : a concept that made my childhood, and continues to bring a smile on my face when I do it, but the limitations of this said concept, brings me down (brickfilms / stop-motion ) OR a type of animation which is the most commonly used, easy to pick and has very few disadvantages, but lacks the charm that I love so much (3D Animation).

I hope whoever reads this will understand my problem, if not I am sorry in case I wasted your time with this.

The use of the pc might also

The use of the pc might also produce a smoother animation, and if you wanted the impact of forestall motion just render the animation at the same time as skipping sure frames. My query is: wouldn't it be less complicated and quicker to apply 3-D animation or forestall-motion animation. maximum three-D applications can create clay-searching fashions besides.

Thank you for your reply!

Thank you for your reply!

Hey word of advice, don't let

Hey word of advice, don't let technology limit you. Always push yourself to new limits. Dont go into 3D because you feel like you have to. You're a stop motion animator, get good at that because there is certainly a market for it. Heres what I reccomend: 

1. Purchase DragonFrame. Its the best stop motion software on the market and is used by professionals everywhere. 

2. If you cant sculpt or create your own pieces, 3D print them. There are plenty of website that you can obtain free or cheap 3D object files for pieces and then just send them to a place that will print them for you. You can paint and dress them yourself after you get the pieces.

3. Get a stop motion skeleton frame. This will help you create characters that are beyond mere Legos. Ill send you a link to where you can get some. If money is an object, you can always build one.   Take a look at one HERE 

4. Learn how to use green screens and compositing. This will be important for complex scenes as well as compositing animation together. This isnt a must off the bat, but I'd say try to become familiar with it at some point. 

I know that this seems like a lot, but these are just the beginning steps to getting into stop motion. 3D has a lot that you would have to learn as well as all forms of animation. But dont give up. Stop motion is an amazing form of animation and we need more of it in the world. 

I wish you the best of luck!

Thank you for your reply! I

Thank you for your reply! I guess I could start saving some money or make my own puppets for stop-motion. I do hope I could also become more handy and make my own sceneries for animations as well. Thank you again for your advice!