Search form

Preparation for Animation

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Preparation for Animation

Hi, 

I am new and currently working on a 2d animation by drawing character reference sheets, writing scenes, and trying to be prepared so I don't just dive in unprepared. But where is the point of which I am prepared to actually animate? Please, let me know.

Thank You

Learn to Draw. ...
  • Learn to Draw. ...
  • Earn a Bachelor's Degree. ...
  • Put Together a Demo Reel. ...
  • Consider Industry Certification
I kind of disagree with Ayusi

I kind of disagree with Ayusi Roy about the bachelor's degree.  And the industry certification.  And the learn to draw thing now that I think about it.  

But I think that misses the point.  Working on references and scenes when you don't know how to actually animate is like training for the Olympic Swim Team by picking out your speedo color.  You need to dive in.  Seems like there's some hesitation.  

I don't know very much about 2D animation but in the 3D world you need to learn how to sculpt and retopologize and UV map and rig your models and then you need to learn how to pose effectively which is harder than anything else I mentioned.  You need to figure out how to render your animation and how to use After Effects.  And then there's stuff like composition and color schemes and ...and ...and..there's a lot to learn.  But the result is that you become a walking talking movie studio that can transfer images from your brain into an mp4 format.  

I did this all with online tutorials but I'm obsessed with animation.  You may not be.  

I recommend a podcast by the guys at FlippedNormals to let you know if this is really for you and what you're in for.  Because if you don't love animation there's plenty of other easier jobs you can do that you don't love.  

Try Daz.  It's free.  It's made for beginners.  Play around and see if you're still doing it three months from now.  Then invest in one of the flagship battlecruiser programs like Cinema 4D or Maya.  

Also remember.  People who love you will tell you you're awesome even if your work stinks.  Don't listen to them if you want to get good.