Search form

Taking the first step into animation

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Taking the first step into animation

Hello all! I'm new to the forums and have done a bit of searching for what I'm sure is a FAQ but haven't really found anything just yet.

I've had a dream for a long time for a story that I want to eventually have told through animation (story of every animator, I guess)

I've been working on a plan to try and pitch to a production company. But when I come, I want to come correct. Concept art, maybe a few animations, story bible etc.

With that being said, I have no animation software and really, the heart of this question is how would you guys rank the 2D programs, and the same for 3D?

Accessibility, price, knowledge level and all that. I see alot of people give glowing reviews to toon boom but then trash something like Krita. Does anyone have maybe a handful from bitb categories that they can unbiasedly talk about?

Thanks so much and I'm seriously stoked to be a part of the community!

in the fact, i learned 2D animation alone at home 

Hi DashWriter

Hi DashWriter

I am pretty new in animation myself, but I have found that Krita is an amazing software to start out with. It is a free opensource program and animates kind of like TVpaint. It is not quite there yet but it is shaping up to be an amazing free traditional 2D software :) You can also use it to create stunning paintings like with photoshop. in fact it has a lot of the same features like photoshop just free :)

I hope your story will find the light of day :) 

Hi, You can use any free

Hi, You can use any free animation software. Some, like OpenToonz are very complex. (Others may cost a fortune). If you like Krita, fine, go for it. You don't need that. Essentially, focus on building storyies (why would I like a character...) so I'm saying learn the art of writing (screenplay, etc.) while learning animation. Give people a reason to like that square or circle. If you like the character, the easier it will be to animate (saying this as hours and hours and hours).

Best of luck..

Best of luck..