Search form

A few burning questions about large-scale independent animation

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
A few burning questions about large-scale independent animation

Ever since I was 12, I've had this dream of producing an animated show. But as I grew older, I began to learn about the crippling pressures and constraints that often go with signing up a deal with Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, Disney, and other networks when getting a show on TV. I realized that the best way forward for producing an animated show as it was envisioned without compromising the vision, the quality, or the overall direction of its development was to completely go indie.

But having never done anything like this except directing a few audio dramas in the past and working on a few video game concepts, I began to run into some pretty formidable walls when going after this vision. The easy thing to do would be to give up, but some part of me wouldn't quit. The vision never went away.

So I started having these questions pop into my mind and they relate to some of the biggest challenges that go into the production of a fully-fledged, fully-funded, animated series:

1: When a deal is signed between a producer and company like Disney or Cartoon Network, what happens to the creative control over the show?

2: Where do 6-7 figure budgets come from?

3: Can I do this all from home or do I need a studio?

4: Has success been achieved outside of mainstream show business and entertainment?

5: What do I need to learn in order to pull this off?

6: What do you need to demonstrate before people take your show seriously?

7: Where can I learn how to break down and itemize the costs of producing one episode?

8: If any of you are successful in your industry and wished anyone starting out would learn one lesson, one thing, one important piece of advice that will save them down the road, what would it be?

I've thought long and hard on if this line of work is really for me, and after going from one hobby/job to another, going in and out of several different fields, the one thing that always stands out is the idea of producing the animated show that's been in my mind for the last 13 years.

I want to be as best prepared as I can be before taking a leap of faith like this. I have little experience in this sort of thing, save for a few years of sound engineering under my belt. I have no money, and I'm pretty much as new to this as you can get. But the vision has never faded, and if it's stuck with me all these years in the face of all kinds of discouragement, then it may just be worth doing.

What are your thoughts?

Hello sibernthy,

Hello sibernthy,

We are corporate video producers, but have expereince working at Disney. You have a lot of questions! :) 

First things first, you shouldn't worry about deals with the stations just yet. You need to first work on:

- Creating a treatment - consisting of - Directors summary ( 1 page) Audience ( a few paragraphs) Background and setting ( 1 page) Plots and stories ( what are they about)

Then this will give you clarity, and others can easily digest. You can then look to get some illustrations done to show the style/look of the project.

Then write a short 60 sec section - dont think of this as a film in own right - think of it a cut out from one of the episodes. This will give a flavour to the peice and bring it to life. ( i am by the way assuming you are making a 2d project - if it;s 3D then character designs )

Then and only then can you move forward so people can actually see what your looking to produce.

You can maybe find some useful info on our site produsive.com

And you can email us through out contacts page - and tell us exactly what you are looking to do. And we can be more spcific in giving you advice.

thanks