Search form

Hungry Novice looking for advice

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hungry Novice looking for advice

Hello, my name is Rich and I have a love character design. Back in 2009 I attended art school for media arts and animation. Unfortunately I had to drop out due to financial difficulties. I spent close to 5 years not drawing or doing anything creative. I have regained my spark and I have been practicing and drawing more than I did when I was in college. But I want to make my passion into a career in the field of character design. I know having a formal education isn't 100% important, but it's discouraging to know that employers  are quicker to hire people with degrees attached to their names. According to my research and contacts, having the skills is what gets people hired at animation studios period, but I need help in knowing how I can improve to bring my skill set to a professional level. Please if anyone has any tips or suggestions I am all ears and eyes. If you are in the industry living the dream please share with me your personal experience in character design or in other forms of the industry, even if it's working in the mail room or cleaning the animation studios.

One thing I keep hearing is

One thing I keep hearing is that a good portfolio is a big must have. Keep working and put your best work into a demo. Keep the demo short, under 2 minutes. Put your best work up front and never use anything that does not show you at your best.