Search form

Ain't I a stinker?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ain't I a stinker?

Okay, so I've pissed someone off today.

Tough beans.

I'm not going to apologize for it, and the person got off easy.

Asking people to work on animation for free or "residuals" is idiotic, ignorant and ludicrous. Especially if the "plan" is to make a tv series.

No-one just goes and makes a animated tv series for a network, sight unseen, and then just sells the whole completed thing to said network without their input.  

They could reject the smallest thing and turn down the entire package and all that effort would be for.........nothing. It just doesn't ever happen that way. Never.
And the amount of work to produce a series........the "proposal" I'm referring to would ask that up to a 100 people work as long as 6 months for back-end "residuals" --and that would be just to complete the first episode.
Then the network usually wants the remaining episodes to follow on a weekly basis.

People dreaming up this nonsense have no fucking clue as to how it works, what it takes, or what is involved.
They think it can be done by some amateurs, sitting at home, in the evening, working on their laptops.
Oh, sure, if you want to make a cartoon that looks like utter shit.  

And without paying people......what incentive is there to hold people to any kind of standard, any kind of deadline or contractual committment?  They could draw whatever the fuck they wanted and there'd be no control over them.
The production tempo would never gain any kind of constant footing because people and come and go as they please--there's NOTHING holding them to the work.
What professional would want to work unpaid ( and alongside amateurs) for someone who has ZERO experience in animation production?? It's an utter recipe for extreme frustration and disaster.

There's a reason why animation is expensive, why skilled PAID people do the work you see on TV and in the movies.

That's why people like me tell people who have some "bright idea" about making a cartoon series for free to just go the hell away.

Ken Davis's picture

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

Been off line for the week so

Been off line for the week so I must have miss something. That was an excellent rant.

Who was asking?

Who was asking for "free" animation that's ridiculous. Unless it's some amateur animation project that's going to be posted online for free. I definitly don't think so.

There was a "newcomer" a

There was a "newcomer" a couple of days ago, went by the handle of "KingMustang" who wanted talent to work on a animated TV series.......with "pay" coming from "residuals".

I didn't even humour him......I just told him to go away and that he didn't have a clue as to what he was doing.

He didn't like that very  much.

Created a thread/post  or two just so he could swear at me some, call me a "fake".

I have no qualms about shattering the "dream" of someone with their head that far up their ass like that.

My pappy said, Son, if you're

My pappy said, Son, if you're good at something, never do it for free.