Search form

Sample animation project

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sample animation project

Hi everyone,

I've been following AWN since the early 2000s. Longtime lurker, first time posting in a while.

I have an idea for an animated movie I'd like to try to produce. To try to get funding, I was thinking of producing a two minute sample. I've always seen this as a 2-D animation, anime style.

I've Googled how long this will take and found threads going back to 2007. I was wondering if the animation tools have come a long way in the last decade, as it seems so many things have advanced as well.

My question is, for an animator today working with a modern tool, how long would be a reasonable time frame to animate 2-3 minutes of movie? (It's a little complex, with a metamorphosis and explosion)

Tim's picture
Follow the continuing adventures of a geek with a dream. http://www.timmorgan.us @tmorgan_2100

Follow the continuing adventures of a geek with a dream.
http://www.timmorgan.us
@tmorgan_2100

With out a script it would be

With out a script it would be really hard to answer your question. It is a guess, I think you wont the lowest cost per minute. 

Say your video short, you have a high energy style. Best of luck with your current project.

Let's break this down for you

Let's break this down for you.....

You'd be looking at about 4300 frames of 2D animation for 3 minutes ( shot on twos, so about 2000+ frames of actual drawings) and you say it's "complicated".

I'm going to assume you have multiple characters.
So there would be animation passes done for each character--their line drawing.
Then you want "anime style" so there will be two susbsequent animation passes done for each character, with animation effects for the highlights and shadows.
Then you want effects animation, an explosion.

It needs to be storyboarded, to determine the camera moves in advance. It needs to be laid out, to determine the compostion and action paths of the animation in each shot, as well as to work out the mechanics of the camera moves.
If it's not to be just a line-test animation, then it'll need to be coloured, edited and sound included.

A single animator doing all that stuff would reasonably take a MINIMUM of about 6-9 months--assuming about 1 seconds output ( 24 frames) a day.
Software will not speed things up much in this.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)