Search form

Critique my drawing skills

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Critique my drawing skills

Tell me what you think about this. I will only accept the harshest criticism, as long as the criticism is legit. http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/bigsweatyschilling/anakin-s-rage

Well, it's weak.

Well, it's weak.

And you don't help things with a bad scan of the drawing. The crumpled, creased paper and reflections on it make it hard to discern what is drawn there.

That is part and parcel of "doing things right"---taking care with the drawing itself, literally the sheet of paper you draw on, so a clean, proper scan can be made and then displayed,  If your goal is anywhere in the direction of being professional you HAVE TO get onboard with that working philosophy.

Now, the drawing itself.  There's no clear sense of structure to the character, there's no sense of anatomy, or proportion.  There's no sense of volumes, or line quality.

Because of the bad scan, the whole left side of the page ( <-------) makes no sense in terms of WHAT anything is.  Your drawing chops are..........weak, and you need to shore up the basics to put forth a better drawing--if that's your goal.
And by weak, I mean that you have no grasp of basic volumes........the tried-and-true simple shapes/forms--spheres/cubes/cones/pyramids, nor any ability woth the more complex shapes built of those.
This is stuff that comes to an artist after a LOT of drawing, a LOT of thinking, AND a lot of recognizing what these forms are and seeing them in the drawing.
It's not in your drawing.
The face on the character looks weirdly distorted, the hair...........well there's the indication you wanted to stylize the design of the hair, but without any clue as to how hair is structured..........well, it doesn't work.

Let's take a minute here to examine HOW you draw;
There's clearly no under-structure to your drawing, whatever stroke you put down is the first and only one, it looks like.  Every line seems ham-fisted......there's no variety. There's no mastery of shapes at all.  It reads as a "person", as a character........but all the things that speak of a solid drawing, something with appeal, form, design.......all those things are fudged or absent.
Lightly drawing the basic forms in a light-weight line helps define WHAT you are drawing.  You can bear down with the pencil once you find out the lines you want, that speak properly to the shapes/forms you need.  All the shading.......the "rendering" at this point is bullshit visual noise, that really is just there to hide the weak drawing itself.

The other thing that presents a problem is that there's only ONE drawing here. You want a gauge of your abilities, and it all comes down to the ONE example you present. There's little sense of skill with this one image, there might be with others.........I don't know. This is all there is to see for now.
Want a REALLY , genuinely useful critique?
Do a couple HUNDRED more drawings (of anything), working on improvements--and stuff I mentioned above--and then show the last of those in a forum like this. Because this looks like the first kick-at-the-can......and there's not a lot to critique because there's so little shown, and shown so badly.

If you want to improve, get some instruction.
 $5 can get you a good condition used copy of something like "How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way"or a like book, which has enough clear, solid classical BASIC drawing instruction in it to boost you to the next plateau if you work at it.
But right now.........what is shown at your link isn't all that strong.  Where it goes from there is entirely up to the artist that drew it.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

Thank you, this is the type

Thank you, this is the type of response that I was looking for. I am planning on drawing every day. Would you recommend drawing spheres, cubes, pyramids, and other shapes before trying to create something similar to what I just made?

If drawing just those shapes

If drawing just those shapes helps you learn to SEE them in your drawings, then do so.
You probably should approach this in a methodical way though........., I mean think it through.
 Just drawing spheres, cubes and cones etc......is, frankly, boring.  
You'll lose interest in it pretty quickly, because just basic shapes aren't interesting in and of themselves.

Do a couple of them and then on the same page, take something that you've drawn before, like a face,  and apply the proper form to it, say a cube or a sphere.

Remember that a face isn't a straight sphere or a cube, but a variation of those forms. While learning to see the shapes, you'll also have to recognize that a chin is narrower than the brow of the head, for example. It's going to vary from character to character.
Put centre lines on the shape ( quarter the shape) so you can place features like eyes, nose etc.  Centre lines will also help you maintain the proportions of the character as you rotate it, when drawing it in different positions.
From there you can progress onto other things like lines of action etc.   But start small, simple, and build.  Don't worry about doing a whole drawing just yet, but learn how to build from components.
When you think you've added to your "visual vocabulary", then try a complete image and go from there.

New Drawing

Here is a new drawing that I have made, if you would, please tell me what you thought was good and bad, I used shapes to angle my lines in this one, this is th first time I ever really tried to rely on shapes in a drawing.http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1373662

My drawing is in the first picture posted on that topic

Honestly......no change.

Honestly......no change.
You will not see a difference in a couple of days here.  

Get a couple hundred more drawings in under your belt and then show what you are doing at that point.  Might take you a couple of months.
Patience. Work through it.

Here's a quick draw-over--

Here's a quick draw-over--
So you can see better what I've been talking about, in terms of how a drawing can look.

I've kept the same slightly  "bent" pose, but just wanted to give you an idea of the basic under-drawing line-work to employ.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y270/KenDavisCartoons/Draw-over_zps0f79...

My advice would be grab

My advice would be grab yourself a decent sketchbook, a handful of pencils or ballpoint pens- then sketch everyday. Draw from life, try to imitate what you see. Whether it's a tree, or a man sitting on a bench- it will teach you the basics over time. Do a handful of simple figure drawings every day- and always take the time to draw something you enjoy- a favorite cartoon character, or something original, whatever it is you enjoy drawing.

Also, youtube is full of great basic drawing tutorials. Watch those to get a grasp on perspective, dynamic poses, and lighting.

Most of all, if you love to draw- do not give up. Keep practicing, as much as possible. I have seen bad artists turn great in a relatively short period of time (1-2 years)

Good luck!