Search form

How to get an animation job - perspective from animator and now studio head

1 post / 0 new
How to get an animation job - perspective from animator and now studio head

Hi all. I run a small animation studio and have worked at Activision and Rhythm & Hues as an artist. A few days ago a HS senior asked me where she should go for her art education, she wanted to be an animator or game designer. I know that's really broad, but she had gotten into many top art schools and was genuinely excited about her future career.

Having been there ten years ago I wrote this to her, summarized in this blog post:

• - What matters is your portfolio
  • - You have to be comfortable with networking and selling yourself as much as possible
  • - You have to be willing to relocate and move on a dime for a new job that may only lasts a few months
  • - You could learn everything online and never go to college.

I know that list may upset some people, but I do a lot of talks at college campuses and some of them drive me crazy. They charge huge premiums on the students to go there, wave banners Activision or EA in their faces, and point to old statistics of job growth that have nothing to do with their own institution's contribution.

On the other side, there are some wonderful animation and art schools (Ringling, CalArts, RISD) that are fantastic, but incredibly expensive. Going to any of these schools does not guarantee a job in the industry but it does help.

I can't ignore the benefits of college either, meeting like minded people and the excitement of "being in the trenches" with your fellow students helps everyone grow. Plus you just grow up a lot. Still, just a warning.

Game Design, Animation Degree != Game, Animation job

What do you all think?