Search form

VFX Artists And Tariffs

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
VFX Artists And Tariffs

Is this a hot button topic for anyone? Is there a need for tariffs on VFX work in the North American? Have any of you hear about or sign a petition campaign to urge lawmakers to pursue tariffs on outsourced work?

I've done storyboards for clients in other countries, and have yet to encounter any issues with tarifs. Mind you, I've never even heard of tariffs applied to commercial artwork services being exported.

Any of my work going out-of-country these days is sent digitally, via the internet to a foreign server...as far as I know, so the actually export is electronic information, and not something actually of substance.
But still, this is something to look into, just in case some legislation has been passed that I'm not aware of.

But on the topic of tariffs......for the work that I do, it's just another production cost and just another hassle to collect and account for.
It's NOT a benefit for my working situation, and can even be an impediment in trying to get work from international clients.
It would literally be the government sticking it's nose into my business to collect a paltry amount of money, and would not even gain me any sort of grace in the process.
Many governments, at all levels are looking to divest themselves of any kind of support for entertainment industries, and in more than a few cases, actually set up detrimental policies and practises that work against the industry.
Tariffs are/would be just one more thing they haven't exploited until now.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

Here is the article that got me to post this topic.

http://www.awn.com/news/people/vfx-artists-protest-obama-s-dreamworks-visit

A side note about this topic, I found this on AWN Facebook page. Everyone should go there and check it out.

https://www.facebook.com/AnimationWorldNetwork

Ken,

I have only given the article, that is about tariffs, a quick once over. What I got from the article is that there is a fear of lost jobs in the VFX community. There have been article of jobs moving over seas and back again so I have no idea what to make of this current push for tariffs on the industry.

Is there a decline in project start-up or is this all some artifact of bigger global
financial shake up. Is the Google barge at the root of all this? :D

Seriously, I will start looking for any papers written by economic professional, they might shed some more light on the matter.

Okay, well, what I'm about to write will piss some people off, but my only defence is that I'm being honest.

This is an American thing, and yet another concern about outsourced runaway productions---specifically VFX work.
VFX are outside of the work I do , but I have long benefited from outsourced work......and I'll continue to benefit as long as work gets outsourced.

So, I'm against such tariffs, because they can affect the productions I get work on.
Honestly, I'm indifferent to the plight of the folks stateside on this.
I'm in one of those "foreign countries" that work gets outsourced to and the only reason the work gets sent here is that producers down there want to spend less money and profit more.
This is just more of the "me first" attitude regarding such work, and to be blunt, I have the same attitude when the stuff is to land on my own desk.

There obviously isn't going to be a solution that appeases everyone here.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)