Search form

How does 2d Animation stand now?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
How does 2d Animation stand now?

I would say a certain percent of people here have, or have had the dream to be able to work for Disney or DreamWorks in 2d Animation. My first question is, is it really a realistic goal seeing as how both studios are going on a 3d trend?

Glen Keane left Disney in 2012(after the success of Tangled) making a statement that, "2d Animation still has a lot of potential that is yet to be explored.".

I've been working, exploring, and studying 2d animation these years. My last question is, is all my work really pointless now and should I just drop it and move on to the 3d stuff?

This is not a 2D VS CGI debate, so please don't use up the comments....

I appreciate your constructive and hard criticism.

Adding to what you know is never going to be a detriment, so adding 3D skills to your skill-set will give you more career-assets.
2D remains relevant in the basic skill-sets; the drawing, the sense of appeal, animation timing, etc. The stronger you are as a 2D artist, the stronger you'll be as a 3D artist, and likely your transition to 3D will be easier.

Don't think of the transition as forsaking one for the other, because if you have the skills, you can always revert back to the other.
There's nothing pointless about developing or maintaining proficiency in 2D ( or 3D, for that matter).

Now, as to what the "trends" are...........it's really anyone's guess. The assumption a few years back with the Disney purchase of Pixar and the appointment of John Lasseter to Disney management, that 2D would see a revival there has........not played out. They tried it, so of the films played soft, so the use of 2D is really being considered on a case by case basis.
2D SKILLS are still big there, because things like storyboards and preproduction design are still done 2D, regardless of where the material is destined for. So 2D is still applicable in the career options.....it's just that ANIMATING in 2D seems to have slowed down.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

"2d Animation still has a lot of potential that is yet to be explored."

Quite true!
Still lots of people love ad animation!