Search form

24fps or 25fps?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
24fps or 25fps?

Hi guys, I'm really confused here.

I animate at 24fps, 12fps or 6fps etc.

People keep telling me, because I live in a PAL region, I need to animate at 25fps.

I'm not exactly sure how this works, but in Japan they animate on 3s or 2s at 24fps and Disney animate on 1s when they were an animation studio, right? yet the Disney/Ghibli/anime in the UK looks fine, not choppy or anything.

Could the kind people here inform me whether I should stick to 24fps?

I intend for my work to have the possibility to be released in Asia, US, and PAL regions, I guess what I'm looking for, is what is the best option to give me that flexibility with the least amount of headache?

I got told it's difficult to convert 24fps to 25fps, that it's actually easier to convert 24fps to 29.97fps then convert that to 25fps. It's easier to convert 25fps to 24fps, but that would mean having to relearn my timings which I don't want to do.

Man, confusing!

PS: I'm a 2D/paper style animator.

Hi guys, I'm really confused here.

Man, confusing!

PS: I'm a 2D/paper style animator.

I am not in the industry so the issue is not a problem for me.
It sounds to me like you should meet the needs of your biggest audience.
If you get a big enough demand from a different group, you can then tackle this issue.

Remember, I am not a professional but I do, do this at home.:)

24 fps

You are correct.

24 frames for film animation, 25 fps for PAL and 30 frames in America for TV.

You can animate at 24 frames and translate that to 25 fps in Premiere or Flipbook.

BTW, Disney does mostly twos and some ones where needed - it is not all ones.

IMO 24 fps is the best rate to animate to because it is divisible by 2, 3, 4, 6, 8 and 12; a great selection of beats to work to and figure out timing.