Search form

Quick rant

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Quick rant

I've just been looking over a proposal on a job board for a short 3d film, 5 minutes

Pretty much no detail on the proposal it's a sci fi and charater design is underway in 2d and I can make my own bid how much I want to get paid. So I think to myself hmmmph I hate it when there's no detail how am I supposed to do a quote when I don't know what I'm getting myself into.

Then I start thinking it could be a cool project.....and the last 8 or so projects I've seen I passed on because there wasn't enough detail, maybe I just need to open a dialogue. So I start writting a bid with a request for lots more detail: lipsynch or not lipsych characters, how may characters, how may artists do they want blah blah blah.

Then I notice the deadline is the 31st Jan 2012.........
In the proposal it was also suggested that maybe I could do the sound too?!

This just seems nuts to me a 5 minute short would take me months to animate. Is there someone out there who can animate render and do the sound? maybe if it was a jumping turd that made fart noises for the duration it would be possible.

The thing is this is not a one off, most of what I'm seeing is this (to my eyes) unrealistic, short films and music videos with at most a month to complete 3 ish minutes or more. Ok I'm not a studio I'm just one bloke but if I had a team
I would still want more time than that......am I unreasonable am I bonkers or is it them? (please say it's them)

ezromation's picture

websiteEzromation blog/doodlesDeranged Scratchings

Its them.

Of course its them........no sarcasm intended here. There's a LOT of people out there with zero understanding of what animation or art projects entail, and thus they have completely unrealistic expectations of what "can be done".
If it was as easy that they think, we'd see a lot more animation being used in stuff like what they propose, right?

Obviously, the reality is different.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

I just wonder why they have these unrealistic ideas. I've got a job board full of this stuff. I'm sure they all think they are media savvy. What do they know that I don't because this makes no sense to me.

couple of music videos 3 and 5 minutes (seperate projects) the 5 minute one has till mid March, the 3 minute one has 3 weeks. There's 10 briefs like this up today and new stuff comes in every other day.

If it just keeps coming surely some mad man is doing it right? or is it a conveyer belt of numb nutz who just take their turn to fail and then shuffle off after putting some green animator through hell?

Or it all gets snubbed? I dont know. Seems to be a sea of shitty projects out there.

I just wonder why they have these unrealistic ideas. I've got a job board full of this stuff. I'm sure they all think they are media savvy. What do they know that I don't because this makes no sense to me.

couple of music videos 3 and 5 minutes (seperate projects) the 5 minute one has till mid March, the 3 minute one has 3 weeks. There's 10 briefs like this up today and new stuff comes in every other day.

If it just keeps coming surely some mad man is doing it right? or is it a conveyer belt of numb nutz who just take their turn to fail and then shuffle off after putting some green animator through hell?

Or it all gets snubbed? I dont know. Seems to be a sea of shitty projects out there.

I would not trust in them being media savvy. Their lack of knowledge is why they are making such "offers" in the first place.
Over the past........7-8 years that I have been a member on AWN, there's been hundreds of such offers from similar (similar enough) people.

Many of them have had serious stripes torn off them by members here, myself included, and been taunted off into their obscurity.

To the best of my knowledge, not a single one of these people have realized their projects, or returned to rub their successes into our noses.
I wait for it to happen........but I doubt it ever will.

And y'know something? That is how it should be. There's loads of poseurs out there, people that want to "play" animation producer or deal-maker, or director or some other poseur bullshit. They think that "easy access" to the circle of where talent congregates means that the biz itself is easy, and therefore the money is easy too.
They are fakes, they don't know what they are doing, they are too damn spineless to undertake the sweat and toil to do it right.......so, pfft, they can go blow.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

Thanks Ken
I needed a bit of a grumble
Hopefully I can get out of my funk now :)