Search form

High School senior seeking advice.

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
High School senior seeking advice.

First of all, I am new here. I know that the dilemma I have is not uncommon, but I would still love some advice from the real professionals on this forum.

A little bit about myself: *relates to dilemma*

I have always loved to draw.

Beginning at age four, I have dabbled in all things visual art: photography, painting, drawing, and graphic design. I have made money from my art both traditional and digital; I am currently employed as a Graphic Designer.

In my junior year of high school, however, I fell head-over heels in love with animation. Here is a link to the animations I created during that year: http://theartofmish.blogspot.com/

Because of that year,I wanted to pursue a career in animation. It was like magic for me. It brought life to my drawings.

I researched on that career. I know it takes guts, hard work, determination, and a potent mixture of talent and luck. I also know that it is risky; incredibly so. Regardless, I am more than willing to do what animators do. My teachers have said that I have potential. The advisors I met from the time I went to national portfolio day have said that I have potential as well.

The Dilemma:

My parents absolutely DO NOT WANT me to go into animation.

They don't support it. At all. I am currently going to pay for all of my art college applications with the money I make at work.

Instead, my parents want me to study nursing in the philippines, where life is easier, college is cheaper, and job stability afterwards is ensured. I think they just want me to stop staying up late all the time and have financial security, like the sane person would want. I also think that they feel that I am currently not good enough to be among the successful.

They also suggest that I study nursing FIRST, and then afterwards, I can work while studying to become an animator.

so my question to all of those professionals out there: would my parents' suggestion be a wise choice?

I for one am very unsure of doing what my parents want me to do.
I fear that if I study full time for nursing, a career that sends me shivers, I would not have enough time to practice drawing. I also fear that by the time I will have a bachelors in animation, I would be around 28-30, and I might just want to stick with nursing for any babies I plan on having. I fear that I would not get as far as I dream of getting, and I fear that I would waste 4-5 years of my life doing something I utterly do not want to do.

Thanks for reading.
Any advice would be splendid.

wether or not your folks support it.. well, w/e. don't let that deter you if it's what you wanna pursue. i can relate to your payment situation. i currently work 3 jobs to make it through school, and do some freelance when i have time.

Also, don't let the age thing scare you off. guess what, i'm 27 and a freshmen. i waited around after military service to figure out what i wanted to do.

Doing nursing sounds like an ok idea, but when you finish, get a job, and decide to go to school for animation, now you'll have 2, not very cheap education expenses.

My 0.02

-Jace T.

They also suggest that I study nursing FIRST, and then afterwards, I can work while studying to become an animator.

so my question to all of those professionals out there: would my parents' suggestion be a wise choice?

I for one am very unsure of doing what my parents want me to do.
I fear that if I study full time for nursing, a career that sends me shivers, I would not have enough time to practice drawing. I also fear that by the time I will have a bachelors in animation, I would be around 28-30, and I might just want to stick with nursing for any babies I plan on having. I fear that I would not get as far as I dream of getting, and I fear that I would waste 4-5 years of my life doing something I utterly do not want to do.

Would it be a wise choice?

It might be. But it depends on you. Nursing, as a job, sucks the energy out of a lot of people--you deal with the sick and infirm all day long and it will likely not leave a lot of time or emotional/physical juice at the end of the day. The nurses I know certainly experience that.

I think the choice comes down to which is going to be more emotionally fulfilling for you.
Your parents clearly have read only the superficial truths about animation, hence their reaction and stance to it.....it can be an equally rough career, and it is certainly not financially stable in all cases.
I've looked over your drawings and you seem to have a decent grasp of line and form. How you apply it from here on will dictate, I think, how professional you become.

I've said this to other posters here recently, now is the time to get serious with your work. If you are already working as a graphic designer, continue to do so. Try to get that to the point where it can support you financially. In your spare time, start producing work that can, in theory, be used professionally.
That is to say, do designs, characters, layouts, storyboards, animation comics what-have-you....that strive to look professional in execution.

The parental condemnation is part of the uphill battle in this path........a lot of people experience this. A lot capitulate to this too. The intensity of focus and drive you apply to this decision will determine your outcome.

Good Luck.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

Would it be a wise choice?

It might be. But it depends on you. Nursing, as a job, sucks the energy out of a lot of people--you deal with the sick and inform all day long and it will likely not leave a lot of time or emotional/physical juice at the end of the day. The nurses I know certainly experience that.

I think the choice comes down to which is going to be more emotionally fulfilling for you.
Your parents clearly have read only the superficial truths about animation, hence their reaction and stance to it.....it can be an equally rough career, and it is certainly not financially stable in all cases.
I've looked over your drawings and you seem to have a decent grasp of line and form. How you apply it from here on will dictate, I think, how professional you become.

I've said this to other posters here recently, now is the time to get serious with your work. If you are already working as a graphic designer, continue to do so. Try to get that to the point where it can support you financially. In your spare time, start producing work that can, in theory, be used professionally.
That is to say, do designs, characters, layouts, storyboards, animation comics what-have-you....that strive to look professional in execution.

The parental condemnation is part of the uphill battle in this path........a lot of people experience this. A lot capitulate to this too. The intensity of focus and drive you apply to this decision will determine your outcome.

Good Luck.

Thank you so much as well (: That really struck a chord in me. I'll do my best to be as professional as I can upon execution of my work. And it seems as though if both jobs are ridiculously tiring, I might as well take animation, and enjoy myself before I go home physically drained.

I'll work hard and focus! (: And according to your advice, I guess that no matter what I do, it's all about how I apply myself from here on out. Again, thank you so much. you've given me hope again. (:

Also, don't let the age thing scare you off. guess what, i'm 27 and a freshmen. i waited around after military service to figure out what i wanted to do.

My 0.02

Thanks world Hazard (:

That gives me some comfort in going into nursing first. I get the feeling that alot of the freshmen in art schools are not fresh out of high school?

And I was thinking of using the pay from nursing to fund my art college education.

But I'll still think about it. thank you so much!