Search form

Advice on software for traditional animation

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Advice on software for traditional animation

Hey guys, If anyone has 5mins to post an opinion to this, I'd be massively appreciative :)

Ok so bascially I picked 'hand-drawn' at uni which means I'm used to having a billion stills to import into an animation program. We were taught to use digi-cel flipbook to import, colour, then xport into adobe after effects, which was great..but now my version is pretty out of date so i'm looking into other options. I recently got ToonBoom Studio5...BUT it seems to dislike me importing stills, they either turn out fuzzy (non vectorized) or blocky(vectorized)

So the question is: Is this really the most suitable piece of software for what i'm trying to achieve? I mean, maybe ToonBoom is great and i'm just being a newbie...what does anyone think?

Thanks, Kate

Hey guys, If anyone has 5mins to post an opinion to this, I'd be massively appreciative :)

Ok so bascially I picked 'hand-drawn' at uni which means I'm used to having a billion stills to import into an animation program. We were taught to use digi-cel flipbook to import, colour, then xport into adobe after effects, which was great..but now my version is pretty out of date so i'm looking into other options. I recently got ToonBoom Studio5...BUT it seems to dislike me importing stills, they either turn out fuzzy (non vectorized) or blocky(vectorized)

So the question is: Is this really the most suitable piece of software for what i'm trying to achieve? I mean, maybe ToonBoom is great and i'm just being a newbie...what does anyone think?

Thanks, Kate

If your a newbie stick with DigiCel Flipbook, especially since you will scanning in your drawings. If your Flipbook license is out of date try upgrading to the latest version. Flipbook Lite will allow you to scan and shoot your drawings at only $78 and right now Digicel is offering a 40% discount http://www.digicel.net/SpecialOffer.htm. I say this because I use DigiCel FlipBook along with Toon Boom software and DigiCel is a far easier program to use and is better suited for traditional paper drawn animation .

Software: TVPaint Pro, Harmony Standalone, Storyboard Pro, Maya, Modo, Arnold, V-Ray, Maxwell, NukeX, Hiero, Mari, RealFlow, Avid, Adobe CS6
Hardware: (2) HP Z820 Workstations + 144-core Linux Render Farm + Cintiq 24HD Touch

Hiya, thanks for replying. That does make a lot of sense, especially as I have a preference for rough 'scratchy' sort of lines and ToonBoom seems to only like the extremely smooth 'vectorized' sort.

I suppose I just really wanted to check that DigiCel was considered the superior program for drawn animation or whether to just keep at ToonBoom, so thanks again for the tip.

Kate