Search form

Bachelor's or not?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Bachelor's or not?

Hi,

I wanted some input from everyone. I know ideally everyone will always say get your education first! always get a nice little bachelors and then move on. Well in my case I cant go to a nice traditional college, I have other responsibilities due to that, my college selection is limited. So my question is do studios require a bachelors degree? If I go somewhere that doesnt have a good reputation and the studio decides to not accept the school I went to and therefore not accept my bachelors will it actually deter the studio from hiring me, assuming that is that I produce a nice portfolio.

Thanks in advance for all your help... :D

I'm going to chime into this because.......well, I always chime into something like this.

Look, first things first: Get rid of the notion that degree from a school means anything.
More specifically that a degree from a "better" school means more than that of a school with a lesser reputation. I'm not going to mince words here: that is bullshit.
A degree in animation etc......what I nickname a "paper pedigree" is meaningless to you if you lack the talent to work at a professional level.

Guess what? You earn a degree by completing a programme to the academic standards required.
That's it. That is all there is to it.

Nothing about that says, necessarily, that the graduate holding the degree will have artistic ability suitable for industry.
ONLY, that they have completed the programme.
If you cannot draw....what's a "nice little bachelor's" going to get you?

Yeah, a plaque you can hang on the wall.

Seriously, don't be dismayed by my tone. A LOT of people get suckered into thinking the same way as you have. I am NOT anti-degree, nor am I anti-education. I constantly question the value of a degree when there is NO set academic standard for something like animation. Its not just how the programmes are organised ( a LOT are modelled after the CalArts model), but also how they are taught, and who is teaching them. With no level-playing field in terms of standards and/or evaluation( even at renown schools) how can one say that school "X" is necessarily better that school " Y".
I've seen schools fold, slapped with awful reputations, and yet their grads go on to successfully work in the biz regardless.
So what does a degree mean then?

Nothing, right?

To compare: a student can attend Cal Arts, complete the programme as requested--get top grades, but because of whatever weaknesses in their artistic ability.......they cannot get work in the animation field. Their talent lacks where their education doesn't. CalArts is considered one of the best schools, if not THE best school for animation.
What does a degree mean then??
Again, nothing, right?

You know who calls for degrees? Lazy-ass recruiters.
A degree is something that says that someone has done some of the technical requisites......its an EASY (re: brainless) gauge to judge a candidate by. Never mind looking at their portfolio........which is the more honest gauge of whether or not the candidate can actually do the work.

You know who else says degrees are useful??

The schools that issue them.
Think about that one for a minute.
Most of the folks that go to these schools and get these degrees NEVER WORK IN THE FIELD THEY TRAINED FOR AND GOT THE DEGREE IN!!

If you really want a degree, do it for the right reasons--more time to explore and develop your talent and a nice item to hang on the wall. Oh, and to spend another thirty grand or so, just for the privilege.
That or you can educate yourself for a lot less money, but very likely more time and still come out at the same artistic level at the end of it. Heck, if you want to spend money, go for a Masters, because that is supposed to say someone is better, no?

Or not.

To answer your key question: Studios do not, as a matter of course, require that you hold a degree. Your artistic ability speaks louder and more clearly about your abilities than any degree ever could. Any studio that does ask for a degree as an absolute requisite--and I believe there are a couple out there--- should be asked up front WHY they seek degree-holders, when its your artistic talent that determines how suitable you are. If they cannot answer that, its probably advisable to NOT work for them, and if they think degrees mean anything, ask if they'd hire someone with loads of talent but no degree at all.

Again, most of the skills that will get you into the doors of a modern studio can be learned on your own, with equipment you can by for a fraction of a college/art school education. Most of the people I work with do NOT have degrees.

I mean.........I dunno......read this forums and others, and then see if ANYONE has EVER posed a good sensible argument FOR getting a degree in animation.
Personally, I think you'd be hard pressed to find an affirmative answer for that one.....

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

Thank you so much that helpfull assistance.
I went to SCAD for one year and loved their basic drawing classes, since thats all your get really in your first year. And I really really really have my heart set on working for the Disney Animation studios on thier 2D department. I have the artistic abilities and the passion to get into the industry that I have no doubt, its just I was worried about teaching myself everything from books that I may not get all the small technical details one might get from an actual set course path. I mean I was looking at Westwood for Animation, and before anyone says anything, I know westwood is not a great school. I am highly aware of that, but everyone also says the school does not make the graduate. I have a list of over 100 books to use as primary sources to supplement the education that I would receive from westwood. But like for instance I know how to draw I even know how to use maya a little, but the small technical details of how a full feature animation fill is put together or how I know that each part of an animation is done seperately but when that comes to characters how exactly do you animate every part of the character seperately do you do it cell by cell or do you do the head in a segment first them the body in the whole segement, things like that I haven't figured out yet, So i felt that taking the westwood courses would just give me a little more of the technical asspect that I was afraid I wouldn't get from all the books.

I would love idealy to be back at SCAD i thought they had a great art foundation to refine your drawing abilities before you get into the actual animation, but I am a full time employee with too many responsibilities to return to school full time, let alone not enough money to do so.

So based on all I've said, what is your opinion? Should I get those minor technical aspects from Westwood, or just rely on all the animation books published out there. Because I have the desire and the drive to learn just from the books, but the fear that I wont know how to technically put them into a good reel, not yet at least ( Im only just getting into the animations survival kit)

Thank you so much that helpfull assistance.
I went to SCAD for one year and loved their basic drawing classes, since thats all your get really in your first year. And I really really really have my heart set on working for the Disney Animation studios on thier 2D department. I have the artistic abilities and the passion to get into the industry that I have no doubt, its just I was worried about teaching myself everything from books that I may not get all the small technical details one might get from an actual set course path. I mean I was looking at Westwood for Animation, and before anyone says anything, I know westwood is not a great school. I am highly aware of that, but everyone also says the school does not make the graduate. I have a list of over 100 books to use as primary sources to supplement the education that I would receive from westwood. But like for instance I know how to draw I even know how to use maya a little, but the small technical details of how a full feature animation fill is put together or how I know that each part of an animation is done seperately but when that comes to characters how exactly do you animate every part of the character seperately do you do it cell by cell or do you do the head in a segment first them the body in the whole segement, things like that I haven't figured out yet, So i felt that taking the westwood courses would just give me a little more of the technical asspect that I was afraid I wouldn't get from all the books.

I would love idealy to be back at SCAD i thought they had a great art foundation to refine your drawing abilities before you get into the actual animation, but I am a full time employee with too many responsibilities to return to school full time, let alone not enough money to do so.

So based on all I've said, what is your opinion? Should I get those minor technical aspects from Westwood, or just rely on all the animation books published out there. Because I have the desire and the drive to learn just from the books, but the fear that I wont know how to technically put them into a good reel, not yet at least ( Im only just getting into the animations survival kit)

Sounds like what you are seeking is a "peek over someone's shoulder".
If that is the case, why not look for some animation tutorial videos on-line.
Or take some evening courses on basic animation.
It does sound like you are just starting this journey, so its very difficult for anyone to gauge whether you have the ability to do this in the first place, so saying which path to talk is pretty tough.
Make friends with a local animator, talk to the animation instructors at SCAD, buy a video series on animation instruction.........or sign up from more schooling at some place you can afford.

But before you do any schooling.......if you are considering places that you have heard are "bad", do yourself a favour and consult their alumni.
Forget everyone else's opinions about the school. If you want the BEST opinion possible on a a school, look at the graduates ( the alumni) that have gone through the programme. If they are getting jobs in the biz, then you have the clue that the programme is at least working for people and that the instructors probably know what they are doing.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

are there any DVD tutorials that you recommend in particular.

I have almost every book, that looked usefull already on my to-buy list, but I didn't look at DVDs.

Thank you so much for your help though!
It really is appreciated!

I'd recommend Jason Ryan's online tutorials, if you're after a "look over someone's shoulder" kind of tutorial...you can pay per tutorial or for a series, and watch as many times as you like, with a login. (I paid for the entire series 1, which for me kinda took away the sheer terror of staring at a blank screen!)

Seconding what Ken has said so far on the dubious usefulness of the bit of paper :D That said, I've found that a good teacher is invaluable when it comes to interrogating your story, characters, composition, camera angles and moves, etc. And that you can either scream in frustration trying to get software to do your bidding, or....turn around and ask the next student.

So, from experience, my advice is: Keep working, squirrel away as much money as you can, draw as much as you can, take some tutorials online, and keep your eyes peeled for opportunities (work experience, mentors, buddies). If you do decide to go to school in future, at least you'll have some "spare" cash, and some level of skill for your instructors to work with.

Good luck! :)