Search form

Where do studios find work?

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Where do studios find work?

Hi, We're just in the process of setting up an animation studio. It's come to our attention that we don't actually know how animation studios get their 'contracts'. I guess when you get more known, you will be contacted by companies wanting your services. Before that though whats the methods to get some money? Struggling to find information on this at the moment. Contacting other studios has resulted in no information, i guess its pretty sensitive information!

Have you done ANY work in animation?
Have you established yourself--the individuals talent(s) that make up your studio-- as having a known reputation in the animation industry?
What do you have to offer any clients? What do you bring to the table that is any better/different than any other studio?

Who do you know?
What have you done?
What can you do?

Here's the answer to your question though: You are kind of going about things backwards.
When you, as individuals, are getting more work from your clients than you can each handle, then setting up a studio is warranted.
Otherwise, what you are doing is kind of like building a factory to make widgets, and then waiting for someone to just happen along who will miraculously supply you with the stuff to make said widgets.
Doesn't work that way.

The alternative that you have, if you have set up shop is to take out ads in many of the various print magazines and trade newspapers, advertising that you now offer services. I'd expect to pay out tens of thousands of dollars doing that before you get a contract of any worth.

Keep in mind something though........most animation studios are either busy, or they are not. There is NO surplus of projects waiting to be done out there-so new studios have a tremendous difficulty gaining a foothold, unless their staff have a reputation--and most networks tend to go with studios they know and who have reliably delivered in the past.
Yeah, its about trust.
Why should they trust the new guys, the people they don't know squat about?
These contracts are often worth hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars........who in their right mind is going to entrust that kind of money to people they don't know?

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)