Search form

light and shadows in BG to set mood

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
light and shadows in BG to set mood

I am looking for a web resource about light and shadows - how to use them in backgrounds to set a specific mood. i.e. - scary scene/ panic/ calm+daylight/ sad+dark etc.

Any ideas on web sites or even movies?

I think your best bet is to find a book.

Animation Backgrounds Blog - The Black Cauldron

Take a look at Rob Richards' Animation Background Blog - He's done an amazing job of selecting, cleaning up, and archiving hundreds of backgrounds. I picked The Black Cauldron because I think it hits every one of these: scary scene/ panic/ calm+daylight/ sad+dark. It isn't so much a "how to" but there are tons of examples for you to dissect and figure what they did.

For 3D and more of a how to, Jeremy Birn has a new book out called "Lighting & Rendering in Maya: Lights and Shadows"

I don't know much about it, but 3drender.com looks like it might be just what you're looking for.

It seems one of the more useful blogs I got - thanks. In the meantime I continued experimenting and I think I reached nice results.

Now I need to test ways in which my characters, which will be computer-colored, merge with the bg and not pop out (I guess unique shading and texture).

Can we see your work?

Sure, i'll upload what I deem a successful tests, which means with the characters.

For now I can tell you that this a 3rd year animation project, my idea is based on the anxiety and panic from bad news.