Search form

Trying to decide for next semester.

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Trying to decide for next semester.

So Im trying to decide on what classes to take for next semester. They are offering Intro to Maya, Intro to Lightwave, and Techniques for Animation Text next semester. I was for sure going to take Lightwave and Maya (both required for graduation, and both required to take both the advanced versions, and advanced animation courses later in the curriculum) however, I cannot decide whether to take Technique's, which is a class based around development of storylines, preproduction, and storyboards. I wanted to also take Painting 2, which is not required for animation, but for art studio.

They only offer Painting 2 every other Spring, and Ive been waiting for it, I just know I cannot take all 4 classes. So it is either Techniques or Painting 2. Techniques is only offered only in the Spring, so if I dont take it this semester, cannot take again til next year. This would not delay my graduation as I will be taking classes for sure, at least that Spring semester, if not into the summer. Do you think this class is vital? Or do you think Im good to skip it, and take Painting 2. Ill be taking some advanced computer animation classes by the Fall, so just cannot decide what I should do.

Since I have decided I want to complete the Animation program and then finish my Fine Art degree later, I figure I should just take the Animation class. But I am really torn here. Do you feel the Technique class is a must? I really want to to paint. Can't decide. Just want some input.

Thanks

Let me rephrase I guess what Im asking.

How important is animation storyline, storyboard training to doing advanced courses of animation?

The more I think about this, the more Im thinking I should just not take painting right now, do the storyboard, so I am up on my skill list as I progress through this program. Ill just have to find time to paint on my own time (which I should be doing anyway!!).

Still would like input..if anyone has any opinions.

Let me rephrase I guess what Im asking.

How important is animation storyline, storyboard training to doing advanced courses of animation?

The more I think about this, the more Im thinking I should just not take painting right now, do the storyboard, so I am up on my skill list as I progress through this program. Ill just have to find time to paint on my own time (which I should be doing anyway!!).

Still would like input..if anyone has any opinions.

Animator without an understanding of story is, to me, like a marathon runner without feet.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

A well-developed story sense is a tremendous asset. Many students come out of school with good animation skills, but very weak storytelling ability. Take the story class - you won't regret it.

Animator without an understanding of story is, to me, like a marathon runner without feet.

Point taken. Thanks both of you. Yeah. The more I thought about it, it only made the most sense to take it. I appreciate greatly your advice.

Not being able to tell a story visually will result in a bad case of Transformers.

not being able to tell a story visually will result in a bad case of transformers.

lol