Search form

The best 2D animation school in the US?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
The best 2D animation school in the US?

Hey guys, I'm literally weeks away from reaching that crucial college deadline as I'm halfway through my senior year. Only problem is, I'm so confused/lost when it comes to finding a school. I'm seriously at a loss.

Its almost impossible to pinpoint a specific school, because each has their own uniquely good qualities, but what general strand of schools or studies do you think suit me best:

-I want specifically 2D animation, this covers both digital and hand-drawn
-I have a lot of training in visual arts and graphic design already, with a professional portfolio
-I'd like it to have a lot of history and connections with the industry. I always say I'll be bigger then the rest, but I gotta know what I'm up against and most importantly, I want to learn from the masters (I have silly dreams of being an apprentice under some great old wise man)
-I don't want any core/academic classes, I always feel those are Adult Daycares, I know what I want to do, I just want to focus and learn on my craft, its what I love to dive into
-A full course around 2d animation, character development, storyboarding, life drawing, maybe even the history of animation
-A certain amount of freedom, atleast near the end of the course, I have plans to both direct/animate a lot of projects already
-The best of the best in the nation. I came from one of the Top 10 schools in the US, I have a lot of reputation already, along with the skill to back it up, theres no bar too high
-I've always been weary of anything outside of Miami, but break my heart if you must, send me to the farthest reaches of Kodiak, Alaska if you have to, I just gotta know all my options.

Thank you all so much in advance.

Could anyone please throw out a few names you'd think would suit me?

...or you could not help me out and ya know, and I just don't go to college, whatever you want...

Looking for a School

Hi,

You will find alot of the information you're looking for on the
Art and Animation School thread.
If you want to see what we are doing in first year drawing class at SVA
in New York City there is a link on my last post there.
Visit the schools! Look at the work level.
If you come from a strong academic background and have
the AP and SAT scores to prove it, most schools will
exempt you from core academics.
Best of luck!
Natalie

Thanks, Natosh. I followed your link to the sketchbook crits and to the drawing tutorials. Good stuff all round - very inspiring! You and your classmates are ridiculously talented. Awesome stuff.

Hello

My opinion is that the best 2D schools in the USA are:

Cal Arts and...
the Academy of Art in San Francisco.

Unfortunately, I can't go any further than that...

In Canada, Max the Mutt is very good- Sheridan used to good- I am not sure now...

Thanks.