Search form

I'm going 3d...how long to learn it?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm going 3d...how long to learn it?

I've heard so many horror stories about learning 3d software. I just downloaded the trial Maya and I'm gonna roll up my sleeves and learn it on my own. How hard was it for everyone else to learn? Is like photoshop, where u just can't learn everything about the program, but can get by on a few things?

Can my mac laptop take it?

I've heard so many horror stories about learning 3d software. I just downloaded the trial Maya and I'm gonna roll up my sleeves and learn it on my own. How hard was it for everyone else to learn? Is like photoshop, where u just can't learn everything about the program, but can get by on a few things?

Can my mac laptop take it?

Look at Maya system requirement to see if your Labtop has enough power.
As for learning features, you could know Maya backwards and forward if you are willing to put the effort into. Maya classes, I think, run for two to four years so you are not going to be an expert this year. Good luck and have fun.

I strongly suggest that you don't try to learn it all. Concentrate on what you are most interested in.

Things are forever changing with Maya new scripts new plug ins new trends I don't think you can ever know it all. You will end up as some quasi programmer artist mix if you try, scripting seems to be getting more important.

Maya is many times more complex than Photoshop in my opinion, but if you just want to use it for animation it doesn't have to be too complicated. Also in terms of animation the software I have used is pretty similar so transferring from one to the other is not to painful. For example I have used 3d studio Max and Light Wave and they are very similar to Maya for animation.

Here is a great site for learning to animate in 3d
http://www.11secondclub.com/
they run a competition every month, and everyone from beginners to professionals enters so you can see a real mix of skills, plus if you enter you will get a good page worth of crit from a good 50 or so people. It's great for getting a feel for how your skills are improving if you do a couple. There are always some total beginners giving it a go so you shouldn't feel embarrassed about entering. Even if you don't want to go for the competition what you will find there which will be very useful to you is some character models fully set up for animation. Character modelling and character set up (rigging) are I would say the most technically demanding part of Maya If I was you I would start with animation and down load a free character to get started.

websiteEzromation blog/doodlesDeranged Scratchings

Ive been dealing with 3d for some time. specifically with max as my core application. start small with what your interested in and dont get overwhelmed by the interface.

in max a lot of it is tied together, meaning one function will tie into the next one. one modifier works in combination with another, that type of thing. so you end up getting to the majority of the program anyway but it takes time. its just not possible to learn it all quickly.

what you should be aware of is that your taking a techincal program to do something artistic. the program tries to help you in the process by automating a lot of it. but that process has to be learned of course. and every 3d program has it own logic and flow that you will have to become accustomed to

how to

Read the manual from cover to cover, skimming most of it, especially the MEL section. After that, focus on the tutorials you're interested in. There are tutorials all over the net. This will take you a few weeks, then maybe 2 years to get good at it (like anything).

be cautious about how much time you spend with a programming language. thinking creatively and thinking in the strict confines of a programming language are two very different things. its not by accident that programmers arent good animators or modelers. the opposite is also true