Search form

Mirroring Joints question

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mirroring Joints question

I've created a bind, ik, and fk joint chains and they work great. The only problem is when I try to mirror my bind joints Maya crashes. It doesn't even give warning, it closes and there's my desktop.

Is there any advise for this, and is would there be any problems if I copied and pasted my bind joints, and placed them on a -1 scaleX instead of doing a mirror joint since I have to set up the ik and fk again anyways? I noticed the local rotation axis didn't change when I did this. Thanks for your help!

What do you mean by bind? Do you mean with a skin bind on it? that wont work detach the skin then mirror the skeleton.
are you trying to mirror the skeleton with IK on it?

At a guess I would say try stripping everything off your skeleton all constraints all gubbins of any sort then try mirroring it. Or better still try mirroring a simple 3 joint chain and see if it crashes, then you will know if it's your joint chain causing the problem. I'm guessing you are trying to mirror a joint chain that's too complicated and that's what's making it crash.

When I am creating a character I usually start by creating the full skeleton then skinning then adding any constraints IK etc.

websiteEzromation blog/doodlesDeranged Scratchings