Search form

How much should I charge for my first job?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
How much should I charge for my first job?

I wouldn't even say its so much as a job as my first commission for my animation skills. I'm going to be a senior in high school, and I've always practiced animation on my own and have had a nack for it. I've studied lots and have training in professional Graphic Design courses, but I've never made anything longer than 45 seconds!

A guy I know asked me to make a 1-2 minute commercial or animation/graphic, I don't know yet, its very hush-hush right now, for a television channel he's starting. I know him, so I know he's trustworthy, he's not gonna screw me over.

Problem is, I don't wanna screw MYSELF over! I've heard $10,000 a minute for standard animation, but this is a starting job! I can't expect THAT much, I don't think I could even match the quality that much is worth yet.

So, I'm trying to see how much I should charge for a 1-2 minute animations with about 3 characters on screen at some points, with characters in this graphic style, including this character:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v462/LilGrim1991/Taxman/freddy-2.png

What do you think I should charge? I would estimate this to take me roughly 40-50 hours of work, about a week and a half of my free summer time, atleast to make it a level I'm comfortable to call my own work.

Any advise is greatly appreciated. :)

Do you understand what is being asked of you? Does your friend understand?
If the animation is going to be broadcast, it'll need to be prepared to the standards for broadcast.

Are you going to just animate, or are you being asked to deliver the animation whole and complete?
If it is the latter, do you have the equipment to do this? To edit the material? To add sound/music? To add effects, if any? Is it going to be 2D? FLASH? Are you doing the builds? Are you doing the digital ink and paint?

You will probably have to storyboard this out. Do the layouts, to make sure the characters are the right size on screen......figure out any camera moves.......do the timing of the characters, synch up dialogue to the track for animation and lip-synch.
Who is going to do all that? Can you do all those things?
Who is going to cover that cost?

Your estimate of 40-50 hours of work is low.
1 minute of animation is 1440 frames.
2 minutes is equal to 2880.
That's 180 feet of animation.

The average professional rate of output for animation keys is about 10-30 feet a WEEK.Given that you have 3 characters called for in some scenes, its safe to say this will take you at least 4-6 weeks, just for animation.

If you are JUST animating, and doing nothing else, then a reasonable wage would be $750 a week, or higher.

The $10,000 price quote is an estimation, and its a low-ball estimation at best. The cost covers pretty much all the aspects of producing 1 minute of animation from conception to final print.

To be candid, this kind of things sounds like its probably out of your league, sorry.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

Well, Ken, I've never been one to back down when a door's been open to me. The employer's very patient and giving me as much time as I need and full creative rights. I may have come off as if I wasn't sure of my abilities, but years of Studio Art/Visual Communications studies have given me the discipline to see a project through. That's been my first *commissioned* work, I've made a full game's concept/design/graphics/animation in under 3 weeks, not to mention countless pencil tests and have the patience of sitting down for 11 hours straight on computer. The only major difference is that theres a quality expected of me, and I am consistant with my work, not to mention very fast with thinking up good storyboards, angles, writing.

But it is in Flash, which is a good because thats where I could make a 45 second film in under 15 hours with full sound, and several others including voice acting.

I admit, this is a big undertaking, but even though I haven't combined all my abilities into one project like this, they are all there.

I need something like this, because I lost a job opportunity I needed months ago (not for any reason of mine) and I've been passionately itching to work on some major animation project, to prove I don't just talk the talk.

I know its kind of pointless to be making my case to you, I mean, sure, you'll see the determination I have, but its not like your the one giving me the job or anything. It's just to show I'm capable of going through something as big as this through passion alone.

You should get a lawyer before you start production. You are dealing with big money,big for a one man job, and you might need some protection. Good luck.

What do you think I should charge? I would estimate this to take me roughly 40-50 hours of work, about a week and a half of my free summer time, atleast to make it a level I'm comfortable to call my own work.

Any advise is greatly appreciated. :)

You need to figure out how much your time is worth . What are your essential living expenses that need to be covered each week or month ? Rent/mortgage, car payment, groceries, and other regular bills. Don't forget to factor in the expenses that come with being self-employed: you will be paying your own taxes and paying for your own health care . Factor in cost of materials and/or wear-and-tear on your computer , tablet, scanner, etc. Plus at the end of the day you want to show some profit and put something away into savings. (always put something into savings, even if it's just $10 or $25 dollars a week. Save more as you are able to. Over the long term you'll be surprised how it adds up and believe me someday you'll need it for that "rainy day") So what does that translate to into terms of your weekly rate or your monthly rate ?

These articles on Cedric Hohnstadt's blog are helpful:

The Business of Freelancing

especially these articles:

How to Bid Out a Project Part 1

How to Bid Out a Project Part 2

but check all the archived posts on Cedric Hohnstadt's blog under the category : "Business of Freelancing" (there are over 10 pages of blog posts and links related to the business aspects of working as an illustrator or animator. )

$500.

That's just based solely on your being a HS student working on their first job. It's one of those dollar amounts that gives everyone a little wiggle room. It isn't so high that the expectation will be beyond your reach yet it's GOOD money for student work.Besides, if you rock it your client will be that much happier. You can charge more next time.

Put as much time into it as you possibly can and make sure you can use it on your reel or perhaps as a school project. Document your progress and use it in your portfolio for college.

You sound very mature and I like your design so I think you'll do an amazing job. Good luck.

One word on payment/deliverables. I think a 30/60/90 approach can work well for you. Get payments along the way as you complete 30%, 60%, and 90% of the project and of course the balance when it's complete.

You're biggest challenge will be finishing the job and delivering to the client. Save and back up all the time. Get an external hard drive if you don't already have one.

It doesn't sound like there's a hard and fast deadline -- but if there is make sure you have some back up if your computer crashes.

$500.

That's just based solely on your being a HS student working on their first job. It's one of those dollar amounts that gives everyone a little wiggle room. It isn't so high that the expectation will be beyond your reach yet it's GOOD money for student work.

Besides, if you rock it your client will be that much happier. You can charge more next time.

No he won't be able to charge more money next time because if he works that low the client already knows how little he values his own time and talent , so next time (if there is one) they'll want him to do it again for a pittance.

$500 for 1- 2 minutes of animation as originally described is way too low.

Working that low hurts the pro animators who make a living at this. I totally disagree with quoting that low a price.

I agree with Ken's pricing. $750 a week sounds about right, and this is based off of you completing 30 seconds a week. So two to four weeks for animation. I don't know your skill level, this is just based off of your age. As a 17 year old, you're not going to have the years of schooling and industry experience to charge much more than this.

All that being said, I would charge double if not triple that price since your friend is starting his own TV channel. This isn't like starting some blog or webpage, it's a TV channel so he must have a pretty large budget.

And David is right, you'll never be able to charge more the next time with this client. If anything you'll be offered less money to do more with a tighter deadline. I've never been on a project where we've gotten more pay and more time to do the next season. It just doesn't happen. Unfortunately we aren't Hollywood actors where we get paid more for sequals.

One bit of advice. Find out all the broadcast specs and how it needs to be output BEFORE you start setting anything up for animation. You'll save yourself a lot of head aches.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

>> the client already knows how little he values his own time and talent

Unfortunately, without experience or a reel, no one knows how much his time and talent are worth. I still think it's a decent price for a student.

I don't know, I think by charging professional prices - even if they're on the low end, he could be setting himself up for a fall. The higher the price, the higher the expectation. I'd rather see him over deliver for $500 than have a client wonder if the same animation is really worth $2K-4K.

I'm far more forgiving of a HS musical than I am of a Broadway show - even Off-Broadway and Off-Off-Broadway.

>> I would charge double if not triple that price since your friend is starting his own TV channel.

That's so funny. My gut reaction was - good luck getting paid!!!!!

... But that's a whole 'nother life lesson.

As for not getting more money for the next project, every job I've had, from an internship to temp work to a contracted day rate to FT - each experience has helped get my foot in the door and has been used to negotiate terms.

It's all about reels, resume and recommendations.

Maybe you guys could better gauge some of my abilities with a gallery of some of my varied work:

http://isaioviedo.deviantart.com/gallery/

So the work isn't too hard for now, he wants a 30-40 second animation using the one character just having words lipsynced and a few basic movements of the arms/head while standing still.

Its just a test, but he's pretty liberal with handing out different jobs along the way to the final product, which is a nice rare luxury, from what I've heard.

I have done alot of animated

I have done alot of animated videos for people and business for the past 6 years now. I am working on a Youtube channel animated series.

I charged him $950 per minute for the youtube series.

It all depends on th complexity and length of the video.

If its in 3D the price is high but lower for 2D. Also check how difficult it will be.

From what I rad I recommend you charge him between $800 - $1,500 per minute. If you price goes too high he will find someone else. $10,000 is not reasonable.

Also its your first job so don't loose it bro. Don't get too greedy.