Search form

Could use some advice...

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Could use some advice...

Well, I've been working my butt off writing up about six bibles (each for separate shows), two scripts, and pumping out tons of character designs, and I'm starting some work on some storyboards and sample animation.

But here's the problem.

I'm 16, and live about 5 hours from the nearest animation production company (or anything even remotely related to animation, for that matter), and whenever I try calling an animation company, the first question they always ask me is;

"Do you have any previous experience?"

I feel like I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place... it's not exactly like I can just pack up and move somewhere, or get a full-time job, and it's frustrating when you go to all the work to put something together and no-one will take you seriously. So I would just like to know if anyone out there has any ideas of where I can scrounge up some experience so when they ask I have something better to say than "Uh, well... I kinda just do my own thing on the home computer, y'know?"

I'm also highly open to a partnership, if anyone would be willing. I realize that I still have a lot to learn about the animation biz, and any help whatsoever would be appreciated immensely. :)

MysticFortuneCookie's picture
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." -Walt Disney

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
-Walt Disney

No offence, but its probably because you are 16.

Hiring anyone for a job in the animation biz who is under the age of majority is, frankly, just a big headache--no matter what they are offering.

See, the other thing is you are a genuinely unknown quality.........you are too young to have had any real schooling in animation--at least to a professional level--which is another strike against you.
Add to it again, that teens your age can often be found to be flighty and mercurial about sticking with commitments.
If a binding contract cannot be struck with you, they run the risk of you ( or any youth they hire) bailing on them at a inopportune moment--something that DOES happen.
You will find age barriers because the studios often have legit concerns about under-age talent.
Contracts with minors are not binding in more than a few western nations ( Canada and the USA, in particular) so hiring you has to come under exceptional circumstances.

I dunno........are you or your work exceptional? I cannot say, I have not seen what you have done--nor do I know where you are applying.
You say you have prepared bibles and storyboards.....what level is this work at?
Keep in mind that it needs to be of professional level to be considered, not just whatever level you happen to be working at right now as a teen.
Do you understand the technical and artistic demands of the craft, again at a professional level, and does your work demonstrate this??
Is your artwork solid? You you have a portfolio? Life drawing samples?
Is the subject matter and the styles of the work you are creating topical/commercial and at the same level of the studios you are applying to?

If not........you have lots of time to hone your craft--there's no rush.

After all, you are only 16.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

Okay, I just did a quick check and saw that you have posted some of your work.

Okay, I'm going to be honest here, and its for your sake.

You need to "up your game" and work quite a bit more at it to be worth considering.
The character that you posted looks like work coming from someone in your age-group.
It betrays some weaknesses with forms, and structure/volumes, and somewhat basic design principles.

These are elementary things you need to address, and since I don't see the needed stuff in that image, my safe guess is that this is why you are not being considered.

Okay, now that I have lambasted you a tiny bit......let's give you a yard-mark to jump to:

http://planetadisney.blogspot.com/2008/08/disney-antecipa-estria-de-bolt-e.html
Check out this link, and scroll down to the bottom.
You'll see some drawings and preproduction paintings there that, imo, ARE the standard that'll get you noticed and hired, regardless of your age.
They have appeal, structure, solid designs, weight--personality, emotion--everything that is needed.

The closer your work is to that sort of material, the better your chances will be, and the better your career is likely to be, imo.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)