Search form

3 Magicians Blog...development on my 2D piece

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
3 Magicians Blog...development on my 2D piece

Hey guys... I am new to the forum. Right now I'm in production on a student piece called 3 Magicians. I just started a new blog so people can follow along on the progress. Right now there's not a ton posted but keep your eyes out. I'll be posting animation tests talking more about the process and just keeping everyone posted on the project. Feel free to check out what I've got!

Thanks!

3 Magicians Blog

CAlmon's picture
AlmonTree

AlmonTree

The stills show lovely art direction, pallette and your characters really stand out from the bg but is there a reason, other than they are siblings, why the characters are so close in appearance? Could they each have a different costume or slightly different hair color?

But lovely work so far.

Thanks

Thanks for looking at my blog and giving me feed back! I'm so glad you like the art direction because that is an area of animation I'm very interested in. As for the character design. The reason they look the same is because they are supposed to resemble the stacking dolls which all kindof look the same. Also, because of the nature of the animation: In the story the 3 children are kindof like one character. My piece is going to focus more on the over all mood (like a moving poem) rather then individual character animation. In most of the shots you see the children as a silouette so you can see the size relationships mirroring that "stacking doll" repetition. There is some character development in their movement; ie: the youngest is more bouncey and less coordinated, the oldest is the most steady and confident.
I do agree that I could change their physical appearance more though. I'm too far into production to change it for the film, but I am going to do some character animation tests with them for fun. Maybe I can develope them a little more for that.
Thanks again for taking a look. Keep your eyes out, 'cause I'm gonna post some pencil tests, the animatic, and some test composites of final shots.

AlmonTree

Update

Hi! I just posted a few more things to the 3 Magicians blog including storyboards and style frames. The animatic will be up shortly so please check it out! Thanks!

3 Magicians

AlmonTree