Search form

animation books

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
animation books

with this forum having so many pro's on it, i thought that it'd be a good place to ask about animation/drawing books. ive got the animators survival guide, but was wondering what other books would be worth getting.

thanks for any help you can give.

I'm not sure where you are in your animation knowledge, but personally I find Richard Williams book to be more on the advanced side. It's a great book to have but I think there are two other books that you should read and go through their tutorials first. The Animators Workbook by AWN Moderator Tony White and Cartoon Animation by Preston Blair. Both are great book and cover almost everything in animation from basic bouncing balls to field guides and dope sheets.

For drawing books I always recommend George Bridgeman's Complete Guide to Drawing from Life. It's a good book that covers form, weight, proportion and mass.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

Can someone recommend a good book about creating sound tracks for animation?

I'm told that half of the animated movie experience is based on the quality of the sound track, so it probably is very important to have good knowledge and understanding about that subject as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Cartoonery/lm/R2D8AU3LDF3JWF/ref=cm_srch_res_rpli_alt_1

That's my Amazon list. I guess it's still pretty complete, IMO. Nothing about soundtracks, though.

with this forum having so many pro's on it, i thought that it'd be a good place to ask about animation/drawing books. ive got the animators survival guide, but was wondering what other books would be worth getting.

I would agree with Animated Ape that Tony White's "The Animator's Workbook" and Preston Blair's "Cartoon Animation" are great places to start. If you work through all the exercises in those books you'll be well on your way.

Check out the free, online version of the First Edition of Preston Blair's book posted by the ASIFA Animation Archive.

The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams is great . You mentioned you already had that one. You may notice some overlap of material between Dick's book and the Tony White book , which is because both are based on the intensive master class lectures given by Art Babbitt at the Williams studio in the 1970's . Both books are worth having .

I also think every animator ought to have The Illusion of Life: Disney Animation by Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston. Again, the argument might be made that the Illusion of Life covers more "advanced" material , but I think it's one of those books you should own and keep reading over the years. As you advance in your study and practice of animation more and more of what is contained in this book will open up to you. None of it is confusing or too technical . It's just that some of it will not sink in until you've done it for a while.

I really have grown to love Tony White's second book "Animation: From Pencils to Pixels: Classical Animation Techniques for the Digital Animator" .
It's about applying the basic principles of animation by using new digital applications .

thanks guys, im probly gonna buy "cartoon animation", "the animators workbook" and "Complete Guide to Drawing from Life". im only not buying "The Illusion of Life: Disney Animation" because i can almost buy the other three books for the same price, if i feel for any reason that those other books dont give me everything that i need then ill look into getting "The Illusion of Life: Disney Animation".

thanks again.

EDIT: ordered them now.

How about a book about acting for animators? I've learned recently that knowing how to act is an essential skill for animators, just as essential as knowing how to draw.

I've tried buying Acting for Animators by Ed Hooks, but it seems to be out of print (according to book sellers local to me), and Mr. Hooks seems to be more concerned with giving classes than republishing his book. I've ordered Acting is Believing (hardcover) instead. It was highly recommended for learning the basics of acting.

I have virtually all the good books but my favourites are still Preston Blair's Walter T. Foster publications # 26 & 195. #26 was the best book for decades before illusion of life. It worked for many animators for years and is what I recommend for anyone. I like The Illusion of Life and Williams' book but they still overwhelm me; too detailed and too easy to steal the examples for students, Blair's gives you the tools and cuts to the basics.
Two others that I found helpful are Kent Hultgren's HOw to Draw Animals and a certain animator's bootleg lecture which I understand will be published.
As a student save your money, buy the Blair books and then amass a library when you get the principles.
There was a #25 in W.t. Foster series that was published before Blair's that I gave away my copy to a kid. Wish I hadn't now as I found out it was drawn by a Schlesinger animator and I could do with some 1930s character style references.

As for acting I have only read one years ago becasye I had read Bill Tytla had read it. (unsure of exact title and author) Acting: The first six lessons by Bolevslevsky (?). It is a play about acting; a mentor and a girl. It was published early last century. It's been over 20 years since I read it but I remember subtstitutuing the word "acting" with "animation" in my mind and it made sense. Talks about observation and what the character is thinking.

Okay I've found the link to Foster publishing. My numbering of the series is old school but you can find the books I was talking about for a song:
http://www.walterfoster.com/catalog/category.php?cat=6

I have virtually all the good books but my favourites are still Preston Blair's Walter T. Foster publications # 26 & 195.

There was a #25 in W.t. Foster series that was published before Blair's that I gave away my copy to a kid. Wish I hadn't now as I found out it was drawn by a Schlesinger animator and I could do with some 1930s character style references.

Okay I've found the link to Foster publishing. My numbering of the series is old school but you can find the books I was talking about for a song:
http://www.walterfoster.com/catalog/category.php?cat=6

Hi, G-Man (gee, gee, GEE) ,

The "other" Walter Foster Publishing animation book you're referring to was done by Schlesinger and Terrytoons animator Volney White.

As you found , it's still around , so you can get that one for reference to "30's style" characters .

For more 30's style stuff check out Nat Falk's "How To Make Animated Cartoons" posted in five parts on the ASIFA Animation Archive website. The book was published in 1941 , but most of the artwork is 1930's stuff from Fleischer, Terrytoons, Lantz, and Schlesinger.

Also on the ASIFA Animation Archive site check out the posts about Terrytoons animator Carlo Vinci with several examples of 30's style characters from Terrytoons.

One that I can add to the list:
Draw the Looney Tunes, by Dan Romanelli.
Just a quick glance through this tome left me very impressed--essentially is a instruction book on just good drawing. Combine with with the others mentioned above and you'll have as complete a library on animation instruction as you are likely to need.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

One more to add here, an upcoming book to look out for:

Elemental Magic, by Joe Gilland.

Joe is a former effects animator from Disney and set out to write the ultimate animation special effects bible. Well, I just got an email today telling me that his book has gone to press and will be widely carried ( and available on Amazon).
I know Joe personally, have worked with him in the past, he is a master at his craft and this book will reflect that.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

One more to add here, an upcoming book to look out for:

Elemental Magic, by Joe Gilland.

Joe is a former effects animator from Disney and set out to write the ultimate animation special effects bible. Well, I just got an email today telling me that his book has gone to press and will be widely carried ( and available on Amazon). I know Joe personally, have worked with him in the past, he is a master at his craft and this book will reflect that.

Wow, wow, WOW ! Thanks for posting that Ken. This is the first I've heard about Joe's book Elemental Magic coming out soon. (Googled it and found the link to his website for the book)

Joe was the Effects Supervisor on two movies I worked on at Disney, "Lilo & Stitch" and "Brother Bear" . He's a great animator and I'm looking forward to his book .

Hi, G-Man (gee, gee, GEE) ,

The "other" Walter Foster Publishing animation book you're referring to was done by Schlesinger and Terrytoons animator Volney White.

That's the guy. Mark Kausler mentioned him and the Foster book in his commentary of The Case Of The Stuttering Pig. I was like, Damn! I gave that book away....I thought Walter T. Foster drew it himself! LOL! Yeh I'll pick it up for sure....Thanks David.