Search form

Tracing bitmaps in flash

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Tracing bitmaps in flash

Hi!

What methods do you use for tracing bitmaps from scanned drawings in flash? My problem is that lines in my drawings are too thin to be seen properly on video. Is there a way of tracing bitmaps to be pencil drawings and then change the line thickness? I have flash mx in use.

thanks

Samuli

By the way, in flash animation, is it usual to do the final keyframe "inking" only with computer ?

It doesn't have to be done this way, but it really is the best way, as creating vector art inside Flash uses far less vector points and thus helps optimize your files size as well as gives you a much better looking line.

Flash Character Packs, Video Tutorials and more: www.CartoonSolutions.com

tracing bitmaps gives pretty bad results, you almost always have to go back and repair the lines by redrawing certain problem parts that didn't convert well. Plus, the converted vector image is packed with extra vector points that bog down flash while you are using it as well as jacking up the overall file size of the published .swf.

I'd suggest importing your .jpg artwork into flash and then tracing over it on a top layer, by hand with the brush or line tools. A drawing tablet is the best way to do this. Then deleting the .jpg image once it is traced.

Flash Character Packs, Video Tutorials and more: www.CartoonSolutions.com

Thanks for advice. Im doing mainly video animation and the scanned images are quite clean drawn. Its quite a lot of work to redraw the frames, guess abobe could imrove the tracing in future versions of flash?

By the way, in flash animation, is it usual to do the final keyframe "inking" only with computer ?