Search form

Walk Cycle Test

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Walk Cycle Test

So this is my first pass on my walk cycle. She's an old lady with attitude so she is supposed to have a little gung-ho in her step. I will be working on it throughout the week, so any feedback would be helpful.

http://www.picturepush.com/public/396275

And sorry if it's a bit washed out.

It looks like a good start to me. My dial-up is giving me troubles so it will be a few days before I can get my self to a wi-fi place.

Haha, I definitely get that "old lady with an attitude" vibe. Good stuff, it looks great. Is this part of a larger project or just a little something for fun?

Well, it's pretty good. Nice work.

Hi, be sure to check out my blog! A few thing there, and I'll also be putting some of my work (pictures and short carttons) there too in the future: http://ukracattack.blogspot.com:)
I am also making a Flash animated cartoon that I plan to air on it's website in Fall 2008. It's called Tednut and it's about an personified peanut named Ted and his friend Kernal, and their basic adventures in their town of Sleepy Oaks, New York: http://tednut.sampasite.com:D

L_Finston, a lot of good points (many that I found very helpful myself, and thanks for the links ;) ) but I think some of the things you were suggesting be fixed were done intentionally. The bounce in her step and the set arm movements add to the character's personality in my opinion. That's what really gave her that determined, slightly aggravated old lady look/feel for me. Of course I may be wrong, you mentioned where the character was going. If we did in fact have this information and knew more about the situation in general the cycle might make more sense.

This looks really good for your first walk cycle Hanna. The body masses stay consistant. Her forward lean adds some irritation to her character, like she has to keep getting up to answer the door or something. Her arms have a good swing to them and are tensed up to go along with the irritated feel.

There is a slight pause at the top of her step. I'm not sure if everything is on ones and that frame is on a two, but it's detracting from the feeling. When there is a pause in a walk it's for a reason. The person's not in a rush, or has a lip or something. If she's supposed to have some gung-ho in her step there shouldn't be that little hic up. She should be focused on where she's going. She's determined to get there. But becareful not to destroy the spacing you have in your drawings. That is real nice, the ease-in to the top and then the quick drop on the down step.

I think at this point you could start to add some slight squash and stretch to her body and hair. Not too much, she's old. The elasticity has gone from their skin, so just a touch of squash would be a very nice touch.

Looking good.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

Thanks for all the feedback! I will be sure to look into that slight pause in her step and add in some squash and stretch.

There will be more to this walk cycle, like a background and another character, but this was just a pencil test to make sure I got the walk cycle down. I was pleasantly surprised by how it turned out because I was getting rather frustrated while working on it!

How did you do it? Did you make key-frames or did you animate straight-ahead? If you're getting frustrated with key-frames, I suggest trying to do some straight-ahead animation. If you don't end up at your starting position, and therefore can't cycle the drawings, don't worry about it.

Laurence

I made key-frames. It is more the fact that I had difficulties getting the drawings right. I am used to working with a 3D animation program, so moving back to 2D is a bit of an adjustment. The more I do it, the more comfortable I am with it.

And thanks for all your other feedback. I didn't take it as a harsh critique. The reason I am posting my stuff here is so I can learn and improve. So your feedback is always appreciated.