Search form

The Blue Pill

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Blue Pill

A shot I'm making about a guy that should have taken his blue pill. The lipsync isn't there yet, but this was just a test for the movement

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sP_W6zKX4rU

It's really good.
Just that you don't need to accent every word with his gestures.
The first "why" and "blue", I'd keep those stresses on those accents. From the phrase "why didn't I take..." I would just make that more natural; not accenting every word....keep the acting, just not necessary to key the gestures on the accents....concern yourself with overall acting/animation on that move not necessarily illustrating the dialogue.
I don't know if you are, but when it comes to hitting accents in dialogue you can vary it by 4 frames before the accent to right on the frame. I'd bet you did it right on the frame at the vowels: "WhY dIdn't I TAke.
That makes animation look punchy.
Again, alot of good things drawing, posing your acting intentions. I can say alot because you have alot.

thanks!
I know, I really have problems with overacting ;)

It moves well, but like Graphiteman said, waaaaaaaay to many poses. This isn't a very good line to animate. The dialouge is too subtle and probably only needs one pose instead of the 4 or so that you have. It looks like you really know how to animate, now you have to work on your acting of the lines. If the action of the character doesn't match the read of the line, it will never look right.

Good animation, but not the right use for the line.

Aloha,
the Ape.

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

It moves well, but like Graphiteman said, waaaaaaaay to many poses. This isn't a very good line to animate. The dialouge is too subtle and probably only needs one pose instead of the 4 or so that you have. It looks like you really know how to animate, now you have to work on your acting of the lines. If the action of the character doesn't match the read of the line, it will never look right.

Good animation, but not the right use for the line.

Aloha,
the Ape.

thanx, that is actually why I'm trying to do, learning to act with my pencil, I myself like to exagurate and I'm sitting on my desk saying the lines and act the moves out, put I think everytime I do that I exagurate it a little more, and a little more, and a little more... and before I know it, it's over the top :P

Not over-acted pre-se just don't be so conscious of synchronizing actions to dialogue on "why didn't I take...". Just make it naturalistic conscious of what he thinking rather than what he is saying.

Well, there are two things that are going wrong with the animation to this piece of dialogue. One, too many poses. Two, over acting for the dialogue.

What will help with both of these is getting up and acting it out. Recording yourself doing it will also help. Just as reference and not for rotoscoping. First, listen to the dialogue over and over and over again. Don't think about acting it out, just memorize the line. Then with out thinking about acting, get up, play the line over your speakers and record yourself. I bet you won't be able to do even half those poses as big as you've animated them. And if you can, you'll look like a freak. Put the dialogue on loop and record yourself doing it several times. You'll get a more honest performance this way rather than thinking, 'I'll start hunched over, then raise one hand then both over my head, then shake them back and forth, push them forward and out then sink my head into both hands.

Now for the over acting part. Once you've acted it out several different ways, find a one or two poses that you like and that convey the main feeling of the line. Once you have these poses, push them a little further. These are going to be your golden poses. The poses that tell the story. But you have to listen to the emotion and tone of the dialogue read. If the read is up tempo and snappy, the poses are going to be bigger and the motions broader. If its a more subdued read, the pose are going to be more restrained.

To me over acting is when the actions don't fit the dialogue read. Watch a highschool theater production or teenage girls. Everything is overly dramatic. Hands waving in the air, shoulders heaving up and down in a full body sob, things like that.

So these are some of the things to think about on your next animated project. Hopefully they'll help you out.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

So these are some of the things to think about on your next animated project. Hopefully they'll help you out.

thankx man, they sure will help,
even when I'm typing this I'm already thinking about what my mistakes where and how to improve this

I really liked the fluidity of his movement, but as everyone else said, the poses are really overdone. Now I like wild, flailing, overacting as much as the next guy, but there's a time and place for everything and this dialogue isn't the time or the place. This dialogue should have been done with very subtle acting. I would like to see this overdone movement attached to some dialogue that fits it better. To give your character more life, you want to have his movement match his mood. If someone is outraged or excited his movement should make you believe that he is so. This guy sounds remorseful and his actions don't really put that over.

Keep up the good work, it's encouraging to see people still plugging away with pencils instead of succoming to the cyborg overlords of 3d.

Spacefighter