Search form

Writers Strike

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
Writers Strike

Is the writers strike having any effect on the animation industry? I know that the movie industry has stock piled a large number of scripts, to offset the effects of a strike. So if they start using those scripts, we can look forward to a bumper crop of mediocre movies.

I think they are both SAG members also.

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

NOW this writer’s strike has some teeth.

The Golden Globes have been reduced to a press conference. Is it just me, or is this a big blow (and bad tidings) to the film industry?

What does this mean for the Oscars? I know that a lot of people say that the Globes is a good indicator for who will win, but I always thought it was more than that. I think (and feel free to debate this) that the Globes influences who wins at the Oscars. Take this year for example: The Globes winners are going to be announced on 1/13. Well, the Academy votes on their nominees from 12/27 to 1/12. They vote for their winners from 1/30 to 2/19! I think that filmmakers bank on the Globes to help them promote their films to the Academy members. A televised press conference isn’t the same as a televised gala event.

And what if the Oscars ceremony is cancelled and does a news conference like the Globes?! Woah… shockwaves. One, the Oscars is second only to the Superbowl in ad importance. I read somewhere that the advertising space for the Oscars is already sold out. ABC would be handing out some serious refunds… who wants to watch a news conference? Also, don’t Oscar winning films get a boost at the box office? Without the event, those numbers wouldn’t be as good as they would normally be.

And I’m just talking about the effect on the Oscars! A LOT of people are out of award show work… designers, artists, animators, seat fillers… not to mention the ad dollars lost from the Globes and how pissy NBC must be.

Follow @chaostoon on Twitter!

It's not just the Globes - the People's Choice Awards was on last night, and instead of the typical celeb-filled auditorium, it was just Queen Latifah on a soundstage annoucing winners, who had videotaped acceptance speeches.

It's not just the Globes - the People's Choice Awards was on last night, and instead of the typical celeb-filled auditorium, it was just Queen Latifah on a soundstage annoucing winners, who had videotaped acceptance speeches.

Wow. Sounds like a train wreck. Glad I missed it.

Z
Z's picture

Man, I better try to keep up with my writing. If I can manage to be an animator in the industry, PLUS a writer....I could do a lot. :P

--Z

Man, I better try to keep up with my writing. If I can manage to be an animator in the industry, PLUS a writer....I could do a lot. :P

Yeah, you could be on strike! Haha. ;)

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

And what if the Oscars ceremony is cancelled and does a news conference like the Globes?! Woah… shockwaves. One, the Oscars is second only to the Superbowl in ad importance. I read somewhere that the advertising space for the Oscars is already sold out. ABC would be handing out some serious refunds… who wants to watch a news conference? Also, don’t Oscar winning films get a boost at the box office? Without the event, those numbers wouldn’t be as good as they would normally be.

Yea, but the Oscars have this myth wrapped around them that the Peoples Choice and Golden Globes dont: that an Oscar winner is somehow symbolic of a film alot of the movie-going public like.

Its not.

An Oscar winner is decided upon soley by the voting membership of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, and no-one else.

This is why people scratch their heads around the water cooler the day after the Oscars and wonder why they gave the statue to "that film???".

Honestly, I'd like to see the Oscars get a dose of reality that the strike might bring to the event.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

Hear hear.

Normally, I don't pay any attention at all to the Oscars - but, this year, if the strike's still on, I'll tune in just to see how much worse are the presenters' embarrassingly-awkward-even-when-professionally-written speeches.

Yea, but the Oscars have this myth wrapped around them that the Peoples Choice and Golden Globes dont: that an Oscar winner is somehow symbolic of a film alot of the movie-going public like.

Its not.

An Oscar winner is decided upon soley by the voting membership of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, and no-one else.

This is why people scratch their heads around the water cooler the day after the Oscars and wonder why they gave the statue to "that film???".

Honestly, I'd like to see the Oscars get a dose of reality that the strike might bring to the event.

Yeah.

If the Illuminati was the entertainment industry and held a gala ball once a year and handed out gold statues... yeah, that's the Academy (or the public's perception of the Academy). Instead of tuxedos and gowns, they should wear hooded robes and carry torches (hey! wouldn't THAT be awesome!)

We'll have to see what happens.

Is the writers strike having any effect on the animation industry?

I haven't felt anything yet *knock on wood*.

It's certainly done a number on late night tv. I am not looking forward to seeing old Conan reruns of the bungy jumping baby Jesus this Christmas season. I was hoping for something new.

I know that the movie industry has stock piled a large number of scripts, to offset the effects of a strike. So if they start using those scripts, we can look forward to a bumper crop of mediocre movies.

Possibly, but even when shooting movies, a lot is rewritten during the filming. A lot of scripts are just rewritten in general, or punched up by different writers. So not sure how many of those stockpiled scripts will actually get made.

It's certainly done a number on late night tv. I am not looking forward to seeing old Conan reruns of the bungy jumping baby Jesus this Christmas season. I was hoping for something new.

Yup, the late night shows get hit hard since they are written every day. Unless the strikes ends soon, all we will get is reruns. Or worse, new shows that have no written bits or jokes — just celebrity interviews. Not sure of the actual guild rules about hosts writing their own material since most of them are in both SAG and the WGA.

Is the writers strike having any effect on the animation industry?

In short, yes. I know that FAMILY GUY, AMERICAN DAD, THE SIMPSONS are not in production. And because they are not in production, staff (junior staff) had to be let go.

Everyone in the studio world has to tighten their belts. Leno and Conan will be back on the air after the New Year, and it looks like Letterman will be back soon too, with writers.

Wow, that (the Golden Globes) was the most boring thing I've ever seen. If they haven't before, the writers have gotten their point across now.

At least we can see what Brad Bird said for his win:

Brad Bird, director of animation winner Ratatouille, said it "was a real honor to win the award, and I want to thank everyone who worked on the film. Disney, for doing such a magnificent job marketing it and everyone at Pixar for working very hard."
He said it would have been much more fun to be at a ceremony — "with all of my friends and colleagues and the producer of the film, Brad Lewis, who did a terrific job — enjoying the show. But given the weirdness of the situation and everything, we're really still just happy we won, and we're not giving it back. I have it on tape that we won, so that's my proof."

Z
Z's picture

Crap. They have a best animated category at the Golden Globes now. Even though I don't like them, I respect the Golden Globes a bit more than the Oscars. I really thought they were smarter then that. Never mind. :rolleyes:

I really wanted Ratatouille to win best Musical/Comedy. I know Toy Story 2 and Shrek got nominated in those categories when they were released. Did they just add this category this year? Maybe they did so because they realized that Ratatouille was indeed the best movie of 2007, and refused to give an animated film best pick.

Typical Hollywood. :mad:

cartoonchaos, you think the writer's strike is boring? I think it's most amusing. :D

--Z

In short, yes. I know that FAMILY GUY, AMERICAN DAD, THE SIMPSONS are not in production. And because they are not in production, staff (junior staff) had to be let go.

Everyone in the studio world has to tighten their belts. Leno and Conan will be back on the air after the New Year, and it looks like Letterman will be back soon too, with writers.

Leno and Conan going back on the air might cause some problems. I'm sure the Guild doesn't appreciate that very much. It might be hard for them to book guests in the future, since they're basically breaking a picket line...

Crap. They have a best animated category at the Golden Globes now. Even though I don't like them, I respect the Golden Globes a bit more than the Oscars. I really thought they were smarter then that. Never mind. :rolleyes:

I really wanted Ratatouille to win best Musical/Comedy. I know Toy Story 2 and Shrek got nominated in those categories when they were released. Did they just add this category this year? Maybe they did so because they realized that Ratatouille was indeed the best movie of 2007, and refused to give an animated film best pick.

Typical Hollywood. :mad:

cartoonchaos, you think the writer's strike is boring? I think it's most amusing. :D

No, no... the Globes have had that category since last year. Pixar has won it both years so far, last year with Cars.

As far as the writer's strike being boring... well, things ARE boring because of it, if that's what you mean. Thanks, writers, for forcing NBC to ressurect American Gladiators from the dead... and with Hulk Hogan as a host! sheesh.

Everything I've read says that Leno's and Conan's writers view the hosts as nothing but supportive to their cause. They're resuming production to keep from having to lay off the below-the-line production staff - staff that both hosts have been personally paying since the strike started.

I do agree that the Guild itself can't be happy about this turn of events.

The Last Round of Talks

Hello.

In the last round of talks the writers deciuded to up the "anti" and have placed writing for animation programs on the table- the plot thickens...

Merry Christmas!!!!

This is nothing new; WGA has been trying to get jurisdiction over TAG writers for years. They partially succeeded with shows like The Simpsons, Family Guy, Dilbert, and others. This is probably nothing but a negotiating ploy, as WGA has never seriously pursued animation writers except for those on primetime.

Everything I've read says that Leno's and Conan's writers view the hosts as nothing but supportive to their cause. They're resuming production to keep from having to lay off the below-the-line production staff - staff that both hosts have been personally paying since the strike started.

I do agree that the Guild itself can't be happy about this turn of events.

Ellen Degeneres and The View pointed out that coming to their shows was not crossing any picket line so quest keep coming to their shows. Leno and Conan are the same time of show, they talk to guest so the only work writers do on those shows is the opening monolog.

I believe about a third of the content on those shows is "written" - opening monologues, top ten lists, skits - one of the problems is that's what most people tune in for. Celebrities, while pretty to look at, are usually pretty boring to listen to when they don't have a script.

"So Leonardo, didn't something zany happen when you tried to go to a McDonald's in Bangladesh? Why don't you tell us about that."

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I think Leno and O'Brien are also members of the Writers Guild. I know Conan started out as a writer.

I think Leno and O'Brien are also members of the Writers Guild. I know Conan started out as a writer.

Whoopi Goldgerg is also a member of the Writers Guild but she is also an actor. That is the reason she is still showing up for work at the View but I do not know what other unions Leno and O'Brien are end. If they are actors also then that is what will get them around the picket lines.