Search form

2007 Annie Awards

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
2007 Annie Awards

So... best animated feature? I think it's between RATATOUILLE (yes, i had to copy and paste that) and Surf's Up. Good luck to both, I loved both movies.

Hey, congrats to Shadowmachine!! I've got a friend that interned there. I have a lot of respect for stop motion animators, and I applaud when they're nominated for anything, they deserve it.... especially the two Character Animation noms.

cartoonchaos's picture
Follow @chaostoon on Twitter!

#

June Foray Award - Significant and benevolent or charitable impact on the art and industry of animation.
# Stephen Worth

Winsor McCay Award - Recognition of lifetime or career contributions to the art of animation.
# Bill Plympton
# Genndy Tartakovski
# Andreas Deja

Certificate of Merit
# Bill Matthews
# Michael Fallik
# Mark Deckter
# Eric Graf

Z
Z's picture

Despite what cynical comments I made earlier about Surf's Up, once I finnally watched the film, I came to the conclusion that it was the best 3D CG non-Pixar animated film around. It's sad that no one payed attention to the film (I, myself am partly to blame. :P), but I can see why. People who saw the promotional stuff for the film no doubt thought it was a lame combination of Happy Feet and Madagascar. But, that aside, I think Ratatouille was overall the better film.

--Z

I almost didn't catch Surf's Up in the theater, and I'm glad I made the effort. It's a fun, well-done movie. My only complaint is that you can feel the story beats coming a minute or so before they arrive, so it's a tad predictable.

I have complaints about Ratatouille as well, so if it comes down to those two it's a toss-up for me. I'm waiting to see Persepolis before I decide for sure though - I've heard really good things about it.

If I had to guess, I'd say that either Persepolis or The Simpsons will take it. Persepolis if the industry wants to make a statement about films that aren't family-oriented, and Simpsons if it'd rather make a statement about 2D versus 3D.

Z
Z's picture

If I had to guess, I'd say that either Persepolis or The Simpsons will take it. Persepolis if the industry wants to make a statement about films that aren't family-oriented, and Simpsons if it'd rather make a statement about 2D versus 3D.

So the Annies are about "making statements," and not necessarily picking the best movie as well? Oh joy.

I'm not saying that Perespolis or The Simpsons Movie are bad movies. I've seen The Simpsons Movie and thought it was quite good. And, I'm not saying that Perespolis is going to be a bad movie either. I'll reserve my judgement until I see it. Really though, award shows need to just give the awards to the best film!

So, if it comes down between Surf's Up and Ratatouille being the best animated films of the year, they should just give the award to one of those two. Not make a stupid political statement.

--Z

So the Annies are about "making statements," and not necessarily picking the best movie as well? Oh joy.

This surprises you in some way? Are the Oscars any different? ;)

I'm not saying that's what's going to happen, but it wouldn't surprise me. Most of the voting membership is in L.A., and while they've given Annies to Pixar in the past, there is a definite SoCal bias in the nominating. There's plenty of good work being done by folks who aren't part of the CalArts/Disney/Nick cabal - Blue Sky comes to mind, for example. It'd be nice to see one of those folks go home with a zoetrope on occasion. The ex-head of the union even made a crack a while back about "getting old and giving each other Annies for years to come".

FWIW, I try to vote for the best in a category, regardless of who made it. Last year I did give my vote to a local short because it was local though. Nor Cal represent! :D

This surprises you in some way? Are the Oscars any different? ;)

No kidding! My question is... what did John Williams DO? They gave Oscars to a bunch of rappers... the composer of Star Wars? Indy Jones? ... nothing.

Who cares if its a popularity contest? It's a chance for the industry to hoist up the people they work with and love, not just the wonderful work they do. What's wrong with that?

No kidding! My question is... what did John Williams DO? They gave Oscars to a bunch of rappers... the composer of Star Wars? Indy Jones? ... nothing.

Yeah, damn it. All he's got is the millions of dollars he's made to keep him warm at night, and no little golden guy to share it with... ;)

Yeah, damn it. All he's got is the millions of dollars he's made to keep him warm at night, and no little golden guy to share it with... ;)

Touche.

I can imagine John Williams hugging and kissing one (if he ever wins one) like Bugs Bunny in "What's Cookin, Doc?". They might give him one of those lifetime achievement ones.... eventually.

Z
Z's picture

Who cares if its a popularity contest? It's a chance for the industry to hoist up the people they work with and love, not just the wonderful work they do. What's wrong with that?

I loathe the Oscars with a firey passion, and it's one of the things I personally hate the most about Hollywood. When you say "hoist up the people they woork with and love," it's more like "Superficial Self-Exultation."

It's useless and pointless really. I wish the Oscars would just go away. And most award shows that aren't concerned with giving the award to the best film of the year. See, if it ain't about the movies, and more about the snobbery of "we're better than the mere mortals of America," I see no point. And why they should even air it on TV if it's just for themselves. (uhh, they aren't exactly very entertaining shows either)

--Z

Here is a link to the full list of nominations. http://annieawards.org/foryourconsideration.html

My vote for best feature is for Surf's Up. Yeah it's the same story as the live action movie North Shore, but Surf's Up was fun and very well done.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

Z
Z's picture

Best Animated Video Game

Avatar: The Last Airbender “The Burning Earth” – THQ, Inc.

Bee Movie Game – Activision

Ratatouille – THQ, Inc.

Transformers: The Game – Blur Studios

Wow, the videogame nominations are a joke....:(

They should...uhh, destroy that category.

--Z

I loathe the Oscars with a firey passion, and it's one of the things I personally hate the most about Hollywood. When you say "hoist up the people they woork with and love," it's more like "Superficial Self-Exultation."

Well, I guess we have different viewpoints on what the Oscars are, how and why the nominees are chosen and their level of importance. I will say that outside of the short film awards, the effects awards, and best film and best animated film, I have little interest, and most times, I agree with the Academy’s choices and decisions.

Try to realize that the Academy isn’t a bunch of snobs (well, it depends on who you ask) and it’s not just an award giver. It’s a group of thousands of top industry professionals (you have to be invited by a member to be a member, and those members can only vote in the Oscars within their industry, actors for actors, animators for animators, etc.) that rally and research to make movies better, as well as recognizing the outstanding. I think its fine that it’s a popularity contest. To be popular among the best of the best (as with any industry, we know the front runners and the ones everyone respects), that in itself is an honor.

It’s different with the Annies. The members of ASIFA-Hollywood vote for those, and all you have to do to be a member is pay the membership fee. You can call that a popularity contest if you want, but it’s really the Hollywood animators recognizing excellence in their own. You could say that the Annies is a “predictor” for the Oscars like the Golden Globes, but… whatever.

We’re all entitled to our own opinions, however. I’m saying don’t be so quick to judge the Academy or their awards show. They put their pants on in the morning just like you do.