Search form

16 by 9, square or non square pixels?

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
16 by 9, square or non square pixels?

Hello there:
I am struggling at the moment with this aspect ratio business. I am working against a deadline and I cant seem to figure out how to do this properly. I am working on an animation software at 1024 x 576 (square pixels).

I have tested my first scene by exporting it at different aspect ratios (720x576, 1024x576 and even 1092x576) ...
... and imported these files into a project in Premiere set up as DV PAL (1.067) 1024 x 576.
None of them seem to respect the 16 by 9 aspect ratio. I dont know what am I doing wrong here? Can anyone please help me? What would you suggest? I need to deliver a film on 16 by 9 for internet and TV.
Thanks a lot,
Mike

aspect ratios

When you make a video file for use with DVD on PAL tv systems the pixel size of the finished image file needs to be 720x576, as you are no doubt aware. What Premiere and other editing software can do is to squeeze your 1024x576 original into the 720x576 pixel format and place a coded "flag" within the avi or mpeg2 file to tell the DVD player and tv set that the image is meant to be shown as 16:9 ratio. You will probably need to set this "flag" in the rendering properties. (At least, this is how it works with Ulead VideoStudio software)
When played back this flag is read by the DVD player and sets the tv set automatically to display a widescreen image.
If you want to put video onto the internet using DivX or Windows Media Encoding then you can make avi or wmv files of 512x288 from your original animation file without concerning yourself with "flags".