Search form

Identifying Obscure 1930's Cartoons

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Identifying Obscure 1930's Cartoons

Hey!

I love 1930's cartoons. I've watched tons since I was a little kid - but many I haven't seen in years, as I don't know which studio they were be or what their names were. Maybe you can help? Here are a couple!

I saw about 23 seconds of this on Pee Wee's Playhouse the other day. Did I mention that I watch Pee Wee's Playhouse as often as possible? Ok, I do, and they showed a short clip from this bizarre 1930's cartoon, and it was just so weird that I've got to find out more about it:

A classroom has assembled. All of the characters are humans, not animalpeople. The teacher, who has dark hair and glasses, dances and sings, and introduces a baby, who sings in a very deep voice before falling through the floor. He sings, "Mary Had a Little Lamb." The teacher again dances and sings, and this time introduces a young effeminate lad named Percy. Percy basically just spins around with his hands up in the air. A few seconds later, the camera cuts to a shot of the classroom, and they all lift up their hands and flimsy their wrists and go, "Whooooo!"

Okay, here's the next one!

There's a guy, presumably Satan, either a devil or in a devil costume. All I really remember is that he's constantly threatening this woman, and at some point they all go down to Hell, and there's a song with frequent references to "Hades." I know that they are NOT singing, "You Gotta Give the Devil His Due," that's a completely different cartoon that what I'm thinking of. I'm fairly certain that the imps are all exaggerated negro stereotypes common in that era, but I can't say I'm completely sure.

Ok, thanks for reading! I'll probably have some more sometime as I recall them.

A classroom has assembled. All of the characters are humans, not animalpeople. The teacher, who has dark hair and glasses, dances and sings, and introduces a baby, who sings in a very deep voice before falling through the floor. He sings, "Mary Had a Little Lamb." The teacher again dances and sings, and this time introduces a young effeminate lad named Percy. Percy basically just spins around with his hands up in the air. A few seconds later, the camera cuts to a shot of the classroom, and they all lift up their hands and flimsy their wrists and go, "Whooooo!"

That first one is an Ub Iwerks cartoon "Mary's Little Lamb" .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PcR5S6TkiY

Not sure about the second one .

Excellent! Thanks David!

Hey, I found the other one! "The Goddess of Spring," a Silly Symphonies.